Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valley Gasket Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valley Gasket Questions

I'm in the process of removing the a/c compressor and RAVE says to remove four bolts on top of the compressor and unplug the multiplug and set compressor aside. Got that done but I can't move the compressor because of the two rigid hoses connected to the top of the compressor. I started to loosen the line closest to the front of the rig and it starts hissing.

My first experience turning a wrench was two weeks ago when replacing the upper intake manifold gasket. This is only my second job so try not to laugh. I just opened up the R-134A line didn't I? Now what do I do?

Thanks for the help if you have the time.

Update: There was very little hissing before I wrenched it back down so I guess that's good. The line that was hissing has been tightened back to the top of the compressor. Are those lines flexible enough to move the compressor around?

Last edited by ChanchoVerde; 03-27-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Smile

Holy crap this is a tough job. I just got the second rocker cover off and the alternator. I am starting bright and early tomorrow morning. Talk about a learning experience.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:36 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just take your time and read carefully. When you tighten down the rear valley end clamp it says to not to torque them down completely until after the lower IM is on. The problem with that is that the gas line is in the way when you go to tighten the bolt so torque the rear clamp down before you put on the IM.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Rock Crawling

Two questions:

1. How do I get the 3 PAS pulley bolts loosened with the pulley spinning? Got 2 loose using two wrenches but I'm stumped on how to get the third loose.

2. How do I move the A/C compressor out of the way with the R lines still attached on top?

Will do on the rear clamp lip.

Last edited by ChanchoVerde; 03-28-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:32 AM
TReK

1) use a strap wrench (or your serp belt/leather belt if in a pinch)
2) The line should be flexible enough to move it out of the way. Unless it has been replaced by a rigid line.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Rock Crawling

Got the pulley off and now I'm looking for the PAS pump high pressure pipe. RAVE pictures are not always the best and I'm not familiar enough to know what I am looking for.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:58 AM
TReK

It is the fitting on the side of the PAS pump that you need a wrench to take off. Think it is 3/4" or maybe 1/2", forget which. Put a pan underneath because you will loose all your PAS fluid when you remove that fitting.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Rock Crawling

Ok, line is off and the PS fluid is draining. This will probably be a lot more fun to put back together than it is to take apart.

I just have to remember that this doesn't have to be done this weekend. My father-in-law has two trucks and let me borrow one.

To all the new wrenches out there: If you have the tools and can follow instructions, do the work yourself!! It may seem overwhelming at times but it is so much fun (at times) learning your rig from the inside out. I'm looking at the engine in disbelief of what I have done. I'm as green as they come when it comes to turning a wrench.

Last edited by ChanchoVerde; 03-28-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:13 PM
TReK

It will go back together 10x's faster because you know where everything is and where it goes.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Wheeewww. Got everything out and I'm in the process of cleaning some of the gunk off of random parts.

1.) Do I use the RTV on just the end seals or all the way around the valley gasket?

2.) How much do I apply in the places that need it?

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Valley Gasket Questions