Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valley Gasket Questions

Old 03-28-2010, 02:07 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

1) Put a decent bead of RTV starting at the notches in the valley ends up and around the square (?) coolant passage at the end of the cylinder heads.

2) run a decent (think a little smaller than toothpaste) sized bead

Old 03-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, that's where I get confused. So I start by applying on the ends and then place the end seals on top of the RTV. Then you're basically saying to apply RTV around the entire outline where the valley gasket will sit?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:33 PM
TReK

Draw a straight bead of rtv (on the metal) starting from the notch where the rubber end seal fits straight up and then circle around the coolant passage (the hole on the end) then put the seals down and fit the gasket. Do this 4 times for each end and side.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Got it. Thanks for hanging around lip.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Do I torque down more or less when using an extension?

Old 03-28-2010, 03:11 PM
TReK

I never worry about it just try to keep the wrench centered on the axis of rotation of the bolt if you can.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

One tip for anyone new to doing maintenance on these or any other vehicle that you may not be intimately familar with. Take pictures of the various items before you disturb things. This way you have a real good reference for exactly how things were if questions arise during re-assembly.

Also, get plenty of PB Blaster and spray all fasteners that require disassembly a day or two prior to starting disassembly. I saw it available by the gallon at AutoZone. Much better price to buy that and a spray bottle rather than aerosol cans if you have a big job to do. Keep a can or two on hand otherwise. Also make sure you have a nice long breaker bar. It makes getting things apart much easier than struggling.

If the fasteners (boltheads, nuts) look rusty, make sure you have the correct new ones on hand and replace all of them upon reassembly. Do not reuse questionable fasteners, you will not get them off easily next time.

Be prepared,don't just jump in blindly. Download and review the rave and other procedures to familarize yourself with what your are about to do. That way you can avoid future "Hissing" and other potentially harmful acts commited from ignorance of the procedure you are performing.

Otherwise you might as well just beat everything apart with a sledge hammer or whatever else is handy. And of course, learn from your mistakes.

Chant the following prior to starting each job. Face the Sun, bow deeply three times, then chant loudly:
"Oh Rover Gods, Please Bless Me and Don't Let Me Offend You As I Work On The Beast" Offer whatever additional praises come to mind, then embark on your Journey. May The Rover Gods Be With You.

Be One With Your Rover. Drive it like you stole it when on the trail, most of all, Just Don't Flip Your Rover Over. Gravity Always Wins.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:21 PM
TReK

Thanks captain obvious

Old 03-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Rock Crawling

The hissing was the only questionable part of my work today. Got the valley gasket and v/c gaskets replaced and got most of the top back on. Just a couple more days and I'll turn the key.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Rock Crawling

I need a new tensioner assembly bolt and one A.C.E. bolt. Does anyone know a part number or bolt dimensions off the top of their head?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valley Gasket Questions