Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
Folks, this post was from last year. I will update you guys on my Valve cover gasket after one year. It's leaking again.

I think Mistake #1
I used the yellow snot (3M) type Gasket adhesive on the gasket instead of something softer that takes time to shape.

I will have to redo the gasket again but not sure how I am going to remove that yellow stuff from the surface, Bummer!
You can probably get it off by soaking the bottom of the valve covers in a pan with some gasoline standing in the bottom. For the block, dab a gasoline soaked rag around the edges, just damp enough for the old glue to take; you don't want excess gas running down into the motor oil. Make sure the rag is lent-free as not to get contaminates into the valve train. Then that stuff should come off with a plastic scraper and suck up the debris with a small attachment on the vaccum. This time purchase the high-end rubber gaskets with the ridges. You do not need to use any other gasket makers/sealers/etc. all you have to do is torque bolts to spec (it is specific and a 2-step process) using LocTite so that the bolts won't back-out and break the seal. The gasket will conform and you don't want anything interfering with the seal.
The only reason to use gasket products on this job is to keep the gasket tacked to the cover while you are manipulating it into place but that's a lost cause. I just put the gasket up there first then maneuver the cover on, but you have to be very careful and constantly check the entire perimeter of that gasket lip-to-cover because it doesn't want to stay put, even when it was good at first torque down. Don't forget the 4 holes in the gasket contain a metal barrel so you must have 4 barrels in your hand before reinstalling new gasket. Those barrels will drop out and **** something up if you don't remember to get them all out of the engine. Have a small automotive magnet handy for sweeping under the rockers. Go to tech videos on roverparts.com for a good tutorial.

Last edited by chubbs878; 04-18-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks chubbs878

These are the exact advice I was looking for.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts
Old 04-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
Thanks chubbs878

These are the exact advice I was looking for.

You got it. I don't know if your truck has SAI (secondary air) or not, but have never been able to break those flex-pipes loose of the cylinder head, which is why I didn't replace driver-side VC last time and it came back to bite me. I ended up cutting the bracket off with a sawzall just past the canister mounting bolts. I don't like opening the cooling system until I get good and ready so I wasn't undoing a heater pipe for a VC gasket. Maybe if I had thought to get the O-ring for it I would have, but you know how it goes. I'm sure that heater outlet pipe O-ring will start leaking next month and I will have to remove the intake plenum all over again. Something for you to put on your agenda in case you want to kill one more bird

Old 04-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling

I don't really know about the SAI (secondary air) I don't believe I do otherwise I would have the same challenge, heater outlet pipe O-ring is on the passenger side. I was able to wiggle the cover out without pulling that pipe. I did order the ring and I should still have it.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Google "land rover discovery 2 valve cover gasket repair" and this video will be the 1st thing you see. Google is your friend.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm doing valve cover gaskets and injector o-rings right now. I have an 03 with SAI and it makes the job a lot tougher. I was able to get the front fittings on the pipes going into the heads off so then you can at least maneuver the pipes away from the valve cover to get them out. Funny you mention the heater pipe coming from the manifold. I just noticed a puddle of coolant right below it pooled up on the manifold. Looks like I will have to remove that pipe and I'm guessing there is an o-ring there. I also removed the alternator and bracket to give a little more room. Man what a mess- all the conduit on the wire harness just crumbles when you move it.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:53 AM
Rock Crawling

[QUOTE=toofaroffroad;564178]Google "land rover discovery 2 valve cover gasket repair" and this video will be the 1st thing you see. Google is your friend.

Thanks. I saw the video last night and realized I dont have the secondary air. relieved

Old 02-27-2020, 12:21 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seriously. What a pain. I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but holy crap. It's a task to replace the gasket! Gone, I guess, are the days of a ten minute valve cover gasket job.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:38 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by deodra
Seriously. What a pain. I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but holy crap. It's a task to replace the gasket! Gone, I guess, are the days of a ten minute valve cover gasket job.
Nah, once you do them, you'll see that it's not bad.
Only 6 bolts hold the upper intake on, and replace the sai bracket studs with bolts.
The hard part is finding gaskets that fit.
Most need at least one or 2 of the holes elongated so they line up with the bolt holes.

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gasket Replacement