Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I take donations.

Thats why we are here, to help others.
Just do like I said, every oil change check the valve cover bolts and snug them back up if needed.
Just one of the many quirks that LR's have, you either love them or you hate them.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:34 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Cover Gaskets and Intake Manifold Gaskets

Hi! I just bought a 97 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. An independent mechanic I showed it to said I need to have the Valve Cover and Intake Manifold Gaskets replaced because they are leaking (no oil or coolant falls on the ground but you can see it underneath the engine when the car is lifted).

I noticed this thread talks about tightening the valve cover bolts as a solution. Could someone please help me figure out where to find them? I am new to Range Rover so any specific advice you have would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping not to have to spend $600 to $700 to replace these gaskets.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Here it is...

Attached Thumbnails Valve Cover Gaskets?-valve-cover-bolts.jpg  
Old 05-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

No thanks necessary, just send us a donation and we will be fine!!!!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Smile Tomato tomahto

Originally Posted by cegibbs3
I probably shouldn't post this but instead of an 8mm 12 point socket I used a 5/16" 12 point and it fit perfect. Slid right on without being forced and no play at all that I could notice. Anyway, just an observation!
Thanks for posting 'cause after reading the rest of the thread I went out to find the elusive 8mm 12pt. It was easier to find a 12 pt buck in San Francisco... So armed with your info of a 5/16th.. voila! Brought it home, put it on the hand driver handle thingy and torqued by hand all I could reach (passenger front, both driver's side) cleaned it up and I'm anxious to see how it works out!

Thanks everyone! Tom

Orig Owner '97 Disco S1, 5spd

Old 10-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by TomOwen
Thanks for posting 'cause after reading the rest of the thread I went out to find the elusive 8mm 12pt. It was easier to find a 12 pt buck in San Francisco... So armed with your info of a 5/16th.. voila! Brought it home, put it on the hand driver handle thingy and torqued by hand all I could reach (passenger front, both driver's side) cleaned it up and I'm anxious to see how it works out!

Thanks everyone! Tom

Orig Owner '97 Disco S1, 5spd
using just the handle was still a little light so put the driver on, snugged'em up and they are dry!. So now what to do about the oil leak from the front end of each head? (between head and block) Timing chain cover or head gasket? No other coolant, over heating, etc... issues...just oil

Old 12-08-2010, 08:35 AM
1st Gear

I'm new to Land Rover's and not an expert mechanic, but i'm ambitious and willing to try, so i'm taking on the below projects and looking for any tips or help.

Just bought an 02 disco SD7, brought it to a mechanic and the following problems:
-valve cover gasket needs replaced: I already tried tightening the bolts, still leaks. So bought new gaskets and was looking to see if anyone had a video on how to replace these, so i can easily follow the directions. (It seems to be a manageable project, but too much info is better then too little info)

-Intake manifold leaks towards rear of engine: This is a bit more of a mystery to me. So any help would be appreciative

-Slight power steering leak, but 1st two issues need to be solved, the engine needs to be thoroughly cleaned, and then i can find the source of this leak.

Would anyone have a workshop manual they would be willing to email / snail mail? This of course would make things a lot easier for me.

tks in advance!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by kopiluwakcoffee

Would anyone have a workshop manual they would be willing to email / snail mail? This of course would make things a lot easier for me.

tks in advance!
http://www.landroverresource.com/

Thats the link to the RAVE manual, in Disco Mike's signature. It'll show you how to do anything and everything to your rover.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:11 AM
7th Gear
Default How many hours does a valve cover job take?

Hmmm, maybe I should just snug up the bolts when my wife gets home. I was up at the dealer getting a driveline vibration checked out (my ebrake drum was had about .015" of play in it!) and they said - hey your VCs are leaking, $600. Xmass is coming. So I buy the gaskets and get ready and discover how many more things I gotta take off. So to decide if I really want to spend turkyday break doing this, anybody know how many hours this job takes? I was gonna take them off and paint them. This disco had the head gaskets done 18 months ago.

Does loctite (blue) work on an old oily tapped hole very well? I've got some vibra-tight at work which is a DIY patch lock (not really as good as a nylon patch I think, but you can use a lot) - maybe better because you can prove it's dried on the bolt?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill Daly, 2 rovers and a mini. Expect wet garage floors!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Would snug up first, that fixes 90% of them, and getting to them on driver side not so quick and easy. Forget the paint. Spend the time doing all the under body lube things (diff, transfer case, swivels), etc. Most people snug bolts at oil change interval.

If D2's, think about propshaft rebuild if they don't have grease fittings, and you should be squirting some grease into the zerk fittings every oil change. Write up in D1 tech setion, covers D1 and D2; as you know, D2 will start "chirping" then impale the tranny.

If over 100K, what about water pump?

Just thinking of things to keep you away from college football...

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gaskets?