Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Seriously looking at 2000 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:36 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Seriously looking at 2000 Disco

I apologize if this has already been posted, but I couldn't find any prospective owner threads.

I am very interested in a 2000 Disco, extremely low miles. Less than 40k original. It belongs to a friend of a friend who had it handed down to them from a grandparent who almost never drove it. I just need to know what to look for when I go take a look at it. I have pictures, about 30, that all seem to indicate a car in exceptional condition for its age. The interior looks like no one has ever sat in it, the exterior has no scratches or marks, but that is all superficial. The car is in Atlanta. about 2 hours away, and I would like to send a mechanic to see what problems there are and how much I am looking at for repairs.

I would also like some personal info about reliability I know the reputation, but any car that isn't well maintained is going to have issues. I have wanted a Land Rover for a long time and am buying this as a reward for my first promotion and I don't want a money pit. Thanks for the responses. And again I apologize if this has been posted and I missed it.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:32 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You didn't look very hard. In the Discovery II section look at the "Must Reads" and "How To" sections, or do a search for "new owner."

Old 10-09-2011, 10:43 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by t-townrover
I apologize if this has already been posted, but I couldn't find any prospective owner threads.

I am very interested in a 2000 Disco, extremely low miles. Less than 40k original. It belongs to a friend of a friend who had it handed down to them from a grandparent who almost never drove it. I just need to know what to look for when I go take a look at it. I have pictures, about 30, that all seem to indicate a car in exceptional condition for its age. The interior looks like no one has ever sat in it, the exterior has no scratches or marks, but that is all superficial. The car is in Atlanta. about 2 hours away, and I would like to send a mechanic to see what problems there are and how much I am looking at for repairs.

I would also like some personal info about reliability I know the reputation, but any car that isn't well maintained is going to have issues. I have wanted a Land Rover for a long time and am buying this as a reward for my first promotion and I don't want a money pit. Thanks for the responses. And again I apologize if this has been posted and I missed it.
Greetings and welcome to the forum.
Begin your research with the first link provided below. Here you will find a brief but accurate listing of many of the common problems associated with the Discovery series 1 & 2. Very useful and highly recommended.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...scovery-21328/

While your at it, take the time to familiarize yourself with alittle history of the Discovery series 1 & 2 models. A side by side comparison etc.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ry-i-ii-28599/

20 Years of Land Rover Discovery - YouTube

Here's a short list of renown Land Rover Parts Retail websites:

http://www.roverparts.com/

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/

http://www.roverlandparts.com/

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Ac...=p4506.c0.m282

Upload some pics of the prospect Discovery and share with the community if you'd like. Whenever you are in need of assistance with all matters concerning Land Rover, always start your research with the "Search" tab located at top of the forum page. Use it to quickly search the entire forum using keywords to see if your questions were already asked/answered previously by another member. If you are unable to find anything relevant or you cannot find an answer to your question then feel free to create a new thread. Always remember to include as much specific information as possible so to help us better help you.

Good luck and good hunting.

Last edited by TRIARII; 10-09-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:51 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Better yet, since you know absolutely nothing about Rovers, find a local shop and have them do a pre-purchase inspection of the truck, yes it will cost you, but if you crawl under that truck, you won't have a clue what you are looking for.
Plan on rebuilding the front drive shaft, replacing the upper radiator hose and doing a major service on it not because of it's mileage but because of its age.
By the way, how much are they asking for it?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disco Mike nailed it! Rovers are wonderful vehicles, but it's well worth your time to learn about them and the beast you buy. I purchased my latest, 2000 D2 SE7 with 170K miles on it, had service history and was well manintained. Even with that being said, still things you need to pay attention to and plan on investing in getting replaced and/or fixed. Staying on top of maintenance on Rovers is imparative to them treating you right.