Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration. Do I really have to take off the driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009 | 10:09 AM
|
Winching
Default Vibration. Do I really have to take off the driveshaft?

Well, right I after I installed the Tom Woods, I thought my truck was vibration free. Admittedly, I tend to be a bit paranoid after making repairs, but during my commutes I have a definite vibration that rears its ugly head around 73 MPH. It lasts through 80 MPH, which is the fastest I ever drive the Rover. I guess I could drive 70 MPH, but 75 is the speed I'm used to. And it's silly to have a bad a@@ truck that is constrained by a simple part.

A few questions:

1. Does this vibration pose a danger to my drivetrain and/or tranny?

2. Is there anything I can check before yanking the sucker out?

3. Would you remove it and take it to a driveline shop? I've read so many posts about TW needing balancing that I'm reluctant to install a TW replacement.

4. What's a good/typical price on a driveshaft balance?

Damn, I was so stoked about the TW install. Now it's a PITA.

Old 09-15-2009 | 10:32 AM

wait so you had a vibration before you installed the woody?

Old 09-15-2009 | 11:03 AM
|
Winching

NO.

I should have clarified that. Before the TW install, I was smooth as silk.

Old 09-15-2009 | 12:00 PM
Baja

Then pull out the propshaft and see if the vibration is gone. If it is, send it back and reinstall your original after rebuilding it, or take the TW to a driveline shop and have it balanced. Expect to pay around $50.
And yes, a vibration is bad for the bearings in the FWD output and the diff pinion.

Old 09-15-2009 | 01:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have had two tw shafts and they both vibrated around that same speed. The first I sent back to have it rebalanced and it came back fine however I decided to wait on the second.

Old 09-15-2009 | 01:41 PM
|
Winching

Originally Posted by antichrist
Then pull out the propshaft and see if the vibration is gone.
so pull out the driveshaft, lock the CDL, and drive 80 MPH down the highway?

that's totally safe? freaks me out to drive with the CDL locked (1) on dry pavement and (2) at highway speeds.

Old 09-15-2009 | 02:38 PM
|
Winching

Originally Posted by salve7
I have had two tw shafts and they both vibrated around that same speed. The first I sent back to have it rebalanced and it came back fine however I decided to wait on the second.
so, with the 2nd one, you're still driving with the vibration?

Old 09-15-2009 | 03:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by oysterhead
so, with the 2nd one, you're still driving with the vibration?
Yep I was going to send it back but figured I don't need to be driving over 75 to begin with. Also I am going to send the old one back to get the cv joint replaced so I may just stick it back in since it was balanced better and use the 2nd one as my backup. To be honest, the very fact that I had a tw shaft break after only a year pisses me off to no end and I am trying to cool down before I deal with them again.

Old 09-15-2009 | 04:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oysterhead
so pull out the driveshaft, lock the CDL, and drive 80 MPH down the highway?

that's totally safe? freaks me out to drive with the CDL locked (1) on dry pavement and (2) at highway speeds.
Yes you can drive at any speed with the CDL locked, the problems happen when you try and park on dry pavement with it locked.

But with the front prop shaft removed it is juts like nothing is there...because its not, the front diff is just free wheeling.

Would I drive my LR on only one prop shaft at 80mph?
Not unless my life depended on it.
60? Yes.
80? No.

Old 09-15-2009 | 04:39 PM
Three Wheeling

I have had a number of custom shafts by TW. he is very knowledgeable and freindly to work with.

we have talked about how heavy duty some of his shafts are (heavy) and he told me that on some of the heavier shafts i could expect to get some high speed vibes, his number was 75 and up as a result of the shaft make up. i chose the shaft anyway as i wanted the toughest shaft i could get. he would have made a different one if i said high speed vibes wold bother me.

if you put one of these shafts in a rover equiped for street or mild off road you should not be running them at high speed.

Tom woods does a great job in making shafts, BUT you must be honest about how you are going to use it.

if you told him that high spped driving is what you do, then he would build you a shaft suitable for such.

why dont you talk to him him and see if there is a better option for high speed use.

Just a suggestion, i hope you dont mind.
jay

Quick Reply: Vibration. Do I really have to take off the driveshaft?