Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration Remains '03 SE7

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bearcatfans
...Now I have a rebuilt and balanced front shaft, two new front hub assemblies, a new rear rotoflex and bushing AND STILL A VIBRATION OVER 75 mph. I am frustrated.
Since several of us have a similar problem, and it sounds like at this point we're all grasping at straws here are some questions I've thought of. Maybe they'll spawn some new discussion and help point you in the right direction...
  1. When you rebuilt the front drive shaft, how did you position the zerks? All down one side, staggered, etc?
  2. What made you decide to replace the front hubs? Were you getting the 3 Amigos, or was there any reason for doing this beyond the vibration?
  3. Have you had anyone take a good close look at your wheels beyond balancing them? Maybe one is a little out of true? I doubt that it's the cause of the problem, but if nothing else has fixed the vibration, then it wouldn't hurt to explore this as a possible explanation... (I'd pull my spare, have it re-balanced and checked to confirm it's not bent and is really true, then I'd start rotating it to different positions on the car to see if it makes a difference.)
  4. Have you removed the harmonic balancer from the rear differential?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

Zerks are not lined up.- Front hubs bearings went bad, I replaced.- no one has looked at my wheels other than when I had them balanced. - don't know much about harmonic balancer from rear diff.

-Aaron
2003 SE7 Disco II

Old 12-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Overlanding

I had this same problem, so I replaced the front shaft with a different one out of another discoII. My vibration was at 70mph. Put in the second shaft, and no more. Had the first shaft rebalanced, and it turned out to be an ounce out of round.

Have the driveshaft balanced by a different shop. Also, pull the shaft out and grease the joints well; the position of the shaft sometimes doesn't allow the front joint to fill with grease. Check to see that your grease fitting is good also. I almost guarantee that the front shaft is either out of balance, or a u-joint was pressed in too hard against the ear of the yoke and possibly damaged, causing the needle bearings to be tight.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Mudding

Well, got new tires last week and had my shaft rebuilt again by a different shop and new rotoflex installed................................slight vibration over 75 STILL THERE. I know that no one here will back me up on this statement, but I wish that I had NEVER messed with the front shaft. I would rather risk cats destruction and tranny destruction than to have constant vibration on the highway. I used to love taking my Disco on long trips because it coasted down the highway at ANY speed smooth as silk. I've spent two years now trying to get rid of the vibration caused by messing with the shaft. I guess I'll have to get a newer vehicle to drive any distance with and keep the vibration monster for low speed city travel :-(

aaron
2003 Disco II SE7
122,000 miles

Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First off, is there any vibration in the drive line? If there isn't then put on a different set of tires from another disco, a dealer may be able to help you with that. I have seen issues with transfer case front and rear bearings going. not hard to replace if you know what you are doing.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever try locking the CDL and removing the front driveshaft to see if the vibration was still there?

I'm chasing a similar gremlin, but my vibe is at 60-70 mph. I pulled the front shaft (recently rebuilt) and still have the problem so I'm going thru the process of elimination to find it. I actually think there's a good chance it's in the tires - BFG KM2's. Even though they've been balanced they're a pretty aggressive tire for pavement.