Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration when Braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration when Braking

Hey guys, I have a interisting problem. Over the past month I have developed a vibration and shaking in the steering wheel during braking from about 55 to 50 MPH. So, I figured badly warped rotors. So, I went out and got new EBC rotors and pads all around. After putting the new rotors and pads on the vibration and shaking is not as bad, but still there. Also, it has changed from doing it at about 50 to about 30MPH. Any ideas?

Old 03-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Vibration when Braking

The front tires could be pretty beat up. Did you rotate them to the rear?

Old 03-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Actually, the tires are brand new. havent been on the car for more than 300 miles.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tires would be an all the time thing and get worse with speed. Im starting to have the same problem, but its when Im near stopping, maybe 5 mph and slower. I feel it in the pedal, steering wheel and I can "hear" it coming from the drivers side front. But my guess is that its wheel bearings and nothing to do with breaks. But I havent gotten down to investigating. Ill be taking it to autocrafts probably friday or saturday to get the low down and a better look at everything on the truck.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

What year and model, how many miles on it and what have you done regarding the suspension and steering?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

If you have a decent amount of miles on your truck, change the power steering fluid per DiscoMike's process and replace the steering damper with an Old Man Emu. Makes a world of difference.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 AM
Three Wheeling

Its a 01 Disco II SE with 72k miles on it. Steering and suspention? Not much, got an alignment when I had the tires put on but as far as what I have had done with the truck thats it.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Three Wheeling

Also have a similar issue, I get a severe jerking in the steering wheel when braking(not everytim, but pretty consistant?). Thought it had to do with warped rotors(have not changed yet). I did replace the steering damper and inspect the steering linkages for play and found nothing out of the norm. Could flushing the power steering fluid make that large of a difference??? My tires have about 40% tread left, thought could be part of the issue so I rotated tire to back and noticedno change in the jerking. I will try the fluid flush and post any change.

If the culprit is found, please post. Thanks

Old 06-27-2021, 10:08 PM
4wd High
Default Same issue on a 2020 Discovery

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What year and model, how many miles on it and what have you done regarding the suspension and steering?
I own a 2020 Discovery Diesel, it has now 19100 miles, very low break usage, no modifications, car is really new.
I went to LR and was told that I probably need to replace the rotors, which is a common issue on them, then I asked if it is a warranty and was told NO…
Is this correct? Why are there rotor issues with these cars and even under warranty and I would have to pay for?
appreciate any inputs
thanks
cheers.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,185 Likes on 849 Posts

All manufacturers have different guidelines for what's covered and what's not...so...l guess you'll have to question them heavily about the rotors. Usually, pads aren't covered, since they are a "wearout item", but rotors are, at least by most US manufacturers. Chrysler had a huge issue years ago with front rotors on their Town and Country minivans, and they were replacing rotors like mad under warranty.

If you live in a mountainous region and are constantly riding the brakes, this could cause premature rotor warpage, and if the dealership is seeing signs of excessive heat build up on rotors...they could say...it was abusive use of brakes and not cover them.

Me, l'd press the issue and go toe-to-toe with them and say...show me where it says the rotors are not covered under warranty,, don't just take the service managers word for it.