LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel vibration when braking

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel vibration when braking

hey guys, just recently started getting a decent vibration through the steering wheel when I apply the brakes on my 06 LR3 w/ 62k. My guess is the brakes prob need to be replaced, but I was wondering if the discs could be warped? And seeing as how I live about 3 hours from the closest dealer I was wondering if anyone had been to the dealer for this and how much is runs? Thanks.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Drifting

Warped Rotors would most likely be the cause of this. You can have them turned possibly, depending on the condition they are in, or you may have to replace them. Im not sure on the prices, i just do the work, but turning them might be around 75.00 for just the front 2. If you have them turned its usually a good idea to go ahead and replace the pads as well, just so you have two matching surfaces and less of a chance for there to be excessive brake noise and abnormal wear later on. You should get some sort of mid-grade or high-grade pad, stay away from the cheapest stuff the extra money will pay off in the end. You don't have to have the dealer do it, besides they will charge you too much anyways.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

depends on where the pulsation is coming from. if it is from the front then its rotors. we don't cut them. But if its from the rear then you will probably need new ebrake shoes along with the rotors. when the shoes are not calibrated right they burn up the shoes and the rotors become warped on the inside of the shoe area not the pad area.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Mudding

What do you mean by "we don't cut them"? The vibrations are coming from the front. Since the vibrations are coming from the front what would you suggest I do?

Thanks again

Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest you take it in to have your alignment checked first. It may be your tie-rod ends, wheel bearings, or warped rotors. Have somebody (preferably not the money hungry dealer) check all of those to narrow down the possibilities. IF you need parts, there are sites on here that you can get discounted parts, the dealer will want your first born child and your left ******** for almost everything.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Mudding

I would say it's coming from the front brake rotors being warped, replace the rotors and pads and sensor with factory parts, you'll drop at least 600.00

Old 12-28-2010, 01:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you press the brakes lightly and feel the pulsation, it's probably warped rotors. Confirm this by pressing harder on the brakes. Pulsation should go away if rotors are slightly warped. If vibration remains, may be something else.

Check on the web for brake packages. All four corners can be bought for between $400 and $600. That's including clips and wear sensors. Changing isn't a tough job, run a search and you can find instructions.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

At your mileage, you should consider replacing all the pads and rotors and start fresh cause they are all, most likely, under minimum specs.
Whatever you do, don't have a dealer do the brake job, for around $400 in parts and your labor, you will save an easy $600 in labor.
The trick is to find good pads, I always suggest Akebono Ceramic brake pads for better stopping, less wear, no brake dust or squeaking.
If you want to talk about this, send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:09 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I have a similar instance! However, I had the brakes done (I bought the parts and had a certified brake shop do it) and still vibrates/pulsating after a month and a half... I knew the control arms and bushings had to be done... So I did them... Still vibrating... I had the rotors turned and I installed them myself, and month later....still vibrating... Some days it is a light vibration, and others it is really bad... So I think I will change my calipers and front bearings... Help! Any thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
colate617 (10-09-2022)
Old 07-07-2020, 12:26 AM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dijansmith
Ok I have a similar instance! However, I had the brakes done (I bought the parts and had a certified brake shop do it) and still vibrates/pulsating after a month and a half... I knew the control arms and bushings had to be done... So I did them... Still vibrating... I had the rotors turned and I installed them myself, and month later....still vibrating... Some days it is a light vibration, and others it is really bad... So I think I will change my calipers and front bearings... Help! Any thoughts?
did you figure out what it was?

The following users liked this post:
colate617 (10-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Steering wheel vibration when braking