Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration Wont leave

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration Wont leave

Ive got a vibration that wont leave. I have replaced the Rotoflex, inspected the front driveshaft, removed the front driveshaft, and checked the rear U-joint. Vibration is real faint around 45 and goes away around 50 the comes back around 65 then turns into a drone like sound around 70. What else can make this vibrate. It it way too fast to be tires or axle problems, and nothing I have changed or replaced has changed the vibration.I feel it in the floor, armrest and at times in the steering wheel. Also it makes no difference if I am accelerating, decelerating, crusing or in nutral. I was wondering about the Parking break drum having a weight knocked off but they have holes drilled in instead. Any suggestions would be very nice. It has done it sence I got it (3Weeks ago). The dealer didnt have enough fuel in it for me to take it on the interstate so it never say 65 before I got it. I truly love the truck but this vibration concernes me. Help Please. Thanks

Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: vibration Wont leave

I don't think that is too fast for a out of balance tire to cause vibration. Wouldn't cost much to have them balanced and rotated.

Willie

Old 10-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe try talking to a tire dealer and explain the symptoms, and see if they think it is a balance issue.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Has the front driveshaft been rebuilt with greaseable u-joints? And, have you greased any of the u-joints?

Old 11-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Drifting

The Tires have been balanced about 3 times and the vibration is still there with the front driveshave removed. There are no NO NO NO.... OMG NO Driveline places where I live that will touch it because it is foreign (IE British, not ford chevy dodge).

Old 11-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

How many miles on your truck?
If you haven't found some one to rebuild the drive shaft, go buy a new one from Tom Wppd's, I would rather pay him $350 plus them replace my tranny when the shaft fails, and it will fail.
As for those shops using all the excuses, that drive shaft and the double carbon are the same as used in many domestic vehicles. Check out your local tranny shops, a lot of them know how to rebuild a double cardon.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But, he is saying the vibration is there with the front shaft removed, so it cant be that......

Old 11-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Maybe the rear driveshaft is out of balance or bent.

Willie

Old 11-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, you can try removing the rear d/s to check for vibrations.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Have the roto flex cheaked for cracks, replace if nesaccary. It is a fairly cheap part and it might be a good idea to replace it anyway, you can get one from www.atlanticbritish.com and install it yourself.
Otherwise I am going to lean towards a bad tire. The cords cold be sperating inside the tire.
You said you had them balanced but were they rotated? Fronts to back?
One things that you could do that would be a PIA but it would eliminate the tires, put the spare on, drive it for a day, then move the spare to another position, then drive it, and so on until it has been on all for corners and see if the vibration goes away.
If it does you need tires, if it doesnt then keep looking.

Quick Reply: vibration Wont leave