Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrations over 70mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vibrations over 70mph

been getting vibrations issues over 70mph(and I can feel it very slighty at 60ish), What should I check? Front DS been rebuilt, rear rotorflex was replaced(old one was in really bad shape), still there, balance and rotated tires, still there. also I have clunking noises when I go from like drive to reverse, and when crusing and slighting taping the gas I can hear it clunk.

any advice? im going to try to remove the drive shafts and see if it goes away.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like a diff issue, or a bad cv

Old 02-22-2017, 01:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

or the ball joints are completely shot and your wheel is about to snap off the next time you make a hard left. I experienced a faulty ball joint that manifested itself in a variety of symptoms, 1 of them a shaking sensation at freeway speed, espc' when contacting something like 1 of those large cracks/pothole/lane dividers/etc

Old 02-22-2017, 01:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
or the ball joints are completely shot and your wheel is about to snap off the next time you make a hard left. I experienced a faulty ball joint that manifested itself in a variety of symptoms, 1 of them a shaking sensation at freeway speed, espc' when contacting something like 1 of those large cracks/pothole/lane dividers/etc
mans the damn things aren't greasable!!!!! Joe I'm guessing u are up
working

Old 02-22-2017, 07:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
mans the damn things aren't greasable!!!!! Joe I'm guessing u are up
working
happy to report that I haven't needed to work on my truck since Sunday. My buddy lent me his OEM LR fan clutch so no fan/cooling problems since installing that; it was like 5 or 6 brand new Import Direct HD units part #2991 from O'reilly Auto Parts that have a manufacturing defect. I was driving myself crazy looking at my belt drive & everything associated with it. After replacing the water-pump, PS pump, belt-tensioner pulley, AC comp' bearing, idler pulley bearing, having the alternator bench tested....it turned out to be a whole run of bad viscous clutch units. SOAB!

Old 02-22-2017, 04:42 PM
Three Wheeling

turns out its the front driveshaft, Took it off and it went away, the front U-joint at the diff, has about 1/8 of play.... ouch. so im getting it rebuilt again and balanced.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay Stanley
turns out its the front driveshaft, Took it off and it went away, the front U-joint at the diff, has about 1/8 of play.... ouch. so im getting it rebuilt again and balanced.
Skip the rebuild and get a better shaft, with greaseable joints

Old 02-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Twix
Skip the rebuild and get a better shaft, with greaseable joints
It was already rebuilt with greaseable joints.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay Stanley
Consider yourself a lucky bunny, if the front UJ's disintegrate the driveshaft flails around and it usually means a wrecked autobox also.

You have to ensure the driveshaft is regularly greased at least twice a year until you see grease emerging from the UJ's otherwise they knack out very quickly.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:17 PM
Three Wheeling

so I got the driveshaft back from the shop, installed it and my vibrations are gone, so problem sloved.

Quick Reply: Vibrations over 70mph