Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Violent shaking of the steering wheel at high speeds!!!! SCARY!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The purpose of a steering stabilizer is not to reduce shaking. It is there to dampen the shocks of one wheel hitting something, like rock or whatever, and transmitting that sudden impact to the steering wheel. A Land Rover with steering and suspension components in good condition won't even need a steering stabilizer for normal driving.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

And what causes the shaking, rocks, chuck holes, train tracts and dead animals.
Stop/dampen pretty much the same thing. I wouls love you see you come run a trail with us, without a steering dampener and don't get the hell shaken out of your wrists, your steering and your and your truck.
They are essential, even on a brand new unit if the truck is to be used for what it was designed for.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llPANCHOll
Did you get your U-Joints taken care of??
No I'm taking it to the mechanic this weekend to put in the greaseable u-joints

Old 05-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by leadfoot
well, first of all check those old tires, if the fibers and/or steel wires broke some where you don't have a round tire anymore. That would explain the shacking. If that is the case, let us know, I am sure someone here not too far from you can come up with a tire for you.
I checked the tires already and there are no fibers or steel wires broken. They are just at the end of their life.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What year and how many miles on it?
If it is a D2, have you already had the front drive shaft rebuilt to correct the greaseless u-joint issue?
If it is a D2, stop driving it right now till we can give you more help, you can loose your tranny with this issue.
Send me your tele number if you want some help, I'll call you.
I'm going to take the truck to the shop to get the u-joints and front drive shaft rebuilt this weekend. I think I need to balance my tires but my tires are so old and the tread is pretty low. I can make it through the summer fine but once winter hits I will be in trouble without new tires. I'll PM you phone number.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bangkuaidiscovery04
I checked the tires already and there are no fibers or steel wires broken. They are just at the end of their life.
You cant tell if you have broken cords just by looking at the tires.
It sounds like you have several tires out of balance.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine recently had a shaking problem. Turns out, one of the three bolts from the rear driver shaft came out. Causing it to shake from 25-70. 70+ and it stopped. I would have stopped driving it right away.. but I thought it was a tire balance issue. Only drove it one day though, and no permanent damage done.

Anyways, a $3 bolt fixed it, for now. Apparently Land Rover uses a rubber coupling. I guess because it doesnt vibrate as much. The bolt came out thru it though, and thats when it started to shake.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
And what causes the shaking, rocks, chuck holes, train tracts and dead animals.
Stop/dampen pretty much the same thing. I wouls love you see you come run a trail with us, without a steering dampener and don't get the hell shaken out of your wrists, your steering and your and your truck.
They are essential, even on a brand new unit if the truck is to be used for what it was designed for.
No, that's when one wheel hits something that the other doesn't, or at a different time. "kickback" is the usual term for it.
I never said anything about off-roading without a damper.

I was looking for something in the manual and happened to come across this. It seems Land Rover agrees with me.

Attached Thumbnails Violent shaking of the steering wheel at high speeds!!!! SCARY!!-s_damper2.jpg  
Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
You cant tell if you have broken cords just by looking at the tires.
It sounds like you have several tires out of balance.
I meant to say I checked the exterior of the tire to see if there were any external problems. Just by looking at the tires you can tell they are very off-balanced and mis-shaped a little. I've been riding my bike to work (2-leg power) to stay off the road and find a solution.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by USMC_Denver
Mine recently had a shaking problem. Turns out, one of the three bolts from the rear driver shaft came out. Causing it to shake from 25-70. 70+ and it stopped. I would have stopped driving it right away.. but I thought it was a tire balance issue. Only drove it one day though, and no permanent damage done.

Anyways, a $3 bolt fixed it, for now. Apparently Land Rover uses a rubber coupling. I guess because it doesnt vibrate as much. The bolt came out thru it though, and thats when it started to shake.
Where exactly am I looking?

Quick Reply: Violent shaking of the steering wheel at high speeds!!!! SCARY!!