Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Violent shaking of the steering wheel at high speeds!!!! SCARY!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
My truck is a daily-driver that sees moderate off-road use. I just replaced the shyte GY Wranglers that come on these with a set of Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10. I am VERY pleased with these tires so far! They look great, and the price is fantastic. You can buy them online from Discounttiredirect.com for about $160 apiece (depends on size, may be a little less for you if you're on 16" wheels), shipped. I got lucky and found a shop in town that sells Hankook and they sold them to me for $175 apiece installed.

Another good thing about the Hankooks is that they can be had in almost every size imaginable. Plus, these tires didn't take nearly as much weight to balance as the Goodyear's did. I did a lot of research before buying tires, and these are a very good alternative to the BF Goodrich All Terrains.
Thanks Disco Fever for the info. Those stocks tires are pretty much worthless. Your tires look great!! Not too aggressive-looking but they seem able to handle the rigors of a spontaneous drive off-the-beaten-path. I live pretty close to the Tire Rack warehouse. Are these tires available there?

Old 05-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by greg409
I'd do the driveshafts, then the rotors(with pads) I bet you'll love the difference.

Tires are your preference, I had firestone destination le's on my D1 for almost 50k mi.
(cheap & highly rated) they were excellent.

I just put on sumotomo all-terrains & love'em so far (1000 mi)mud, rain, dry
not a lot of tire-whirring

luck,greg
Thanks Greg. I know I will feel a word of a difference once I rebuilt the driveshaft, replace the brakes and rotors, and get new tires. It's going to feel like I have a brand-new vehicle I already now it.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Mudding

I also saw some Pirellis that got very high reviews. Let me see if I can find the link again.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tirerack doesn't have these tires, and they'd probably be cheaper from discounttiredirect anyway. I bought Michelins for my LX from discounttiredirect.com and was very pleased with the transaction, and they blew everyone else away on price because shipping is free.

You'll have lots of options if you're on the 16" wheel, but not so much if you're on 18" wheels like me. I actually thought about going down to the 16" wheel, but I like these wheels and I wouldn't get anything for them if I tried to sell them so I decided to go ahead and re-tire them. I'm running 265/65/18 and a 2" lift. The front passenger side tire rubs just barely if I turn the wheel to full-lock. I haven't had these off-road yet, but will next weekend!

Several others are running Cooper tires as well, I think Spike555 just put a set on his truck. If you dig around a bit you should be able to find his thread with pics, and I think the Coopers were even less expensive than the Hankooks.

On another note, you probably won't notice much of a difference when you rebuild your front drive shaft. It's imperative that you do it, but I doubt it's contributing to the shake/wobble you're experiencing. If you have the money, I recommend buying a Tom Wood's drive shaft. Will Tillery (roverguy.com) is offering them at $345 shipped right now, I just replaced mine last week. If you don't want to spend that much, he has an already rebuilt stock drive shaft for $225 shipped. It'll cost you about $100 in parts to rebuild yours, and unless you're going to do it yourself it'll be another hundred or so in labor. It's easy to swap them out in your driveway with basic hand tools.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2009, 05:53 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Less than $100
3 x 1-0005 u-joints @ $12ea
1 x 7-0081NG center kit @ $30

Old 05-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

My truck is a daily-driver that sees moderate off-road use. I just replaced the shyte GY Wranglers that come on these with a set of Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10. I am VERY pleased with these tires so far! They look great, and the price is fantastic. You can buy them online from Discounttiredirect.com for about $160 apiece (depends on size, may be a little less for you if you're on 16" wheels), shipped. I got lucky and found a shop in town that sells Hankook and they sold them to me for $175 apiece installed.

Another good thing about the Hankooks is that they can be had in almost every size imaginable. Plus, these tires didn't take nearly as much weight to balance as the Goodyear's did. I did a lot of research before buying tires, and these are a very good alternative to the BF Goodrich All Terrains.
I was going to buy those tires, $420 to my door for a set of 4 in 16" but I went with the Cooper Discoverer S/T instead.
It was a VERY tough call.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I was going to buy those tires, $420 to my door for a set of 4 in 16" but I went with the Cooper Discoverer S/T instead.
It was a VERY tough call.
I bought a set of the Discoverer STT's about 7 years ago. Even though I've swapped them out with other tires for different use, they are about worn out now. I can't decide whether to replace them with the same or not. They changed the tread design a few years ago and I don't know if I like it as much. I really like the set I have.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Mudding

Tirerack doesn't have these tires, and they'd probably be cheaper from discounttiredirect anyway. I bought Michelins for my LX from discounttiredirect.com and was very pleased with the transaction, and they blew everyone else away on price because shipping is free.

You'll have lots of options if you're on the 16" wheel, but not so much if you're on 18" wheels like me. I actually thought about going down to the 16" wheel, but I like these wheels and I wouldn't get anything for them if I tried to sell them so I decided to go ahead and re-tire them. I'm running 265/65/18 and a 2" lift. The front passenger side tire rubs just barely if I turn the wheel to full-lock. I haven't had these off-road yet, but will next weekend!

Several others are running Cooper tires as well, I think Spike555 just put a set on his truck. If you dig around a bit you should be able to find his thread with pics, and I think the Coopers were even less expensive than the Hankooks.

On another note, you probably won't notice much of a difference when you rebuild your front drive shaft. It's imperative that you do it, but I doubt it's contributing to the shake/wobble you're experiencing. If you have the money, I recommend buying a Tom Wood's drive shaft. Will Tillery (roverguy.com) is offering them at $345 shipped right now, I just replaced mine last week. If you don't want to spend that much, he has an already rebuilt stock drive shaft for $225 shipped. It'll cost you about $100 in parts to rebuild yours, and unless you're going to do it yourself it'll be another hundred or so in labor. It's easy to swap them out in your driveway with basic hand tools.

Good luck!
Thanks alot Disco Fever for all your input. It is much appreciated. My truck needs alot of work, but it's worth it.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by antichrist
Less than $100
3 x 1-0005 u-joints @ $12ea
1 x 7-0081NG center kit @ $30
Where can I purchase this at? I have a mechanic that works from home so the labor will be well below $100. My main concern is where to find good, quality parts.