Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wading

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wading

Hello. I'm after some general advice on wading from other Discovery owners who have experience with this type of Off Road obstacle. When faced with a water obstacle, how deep can you go in a LandRover Discovery before the depth of the water begins to become a problem (i.e. water entering interior or causing other issues)

I notice that you can buy "wading kits" for LandRovers including the Discovery, and I was just wondering what these kits did in order to allow deeper wading.

I'm not really a fan of deep water wading because I don't want the interior of my Discovery wrecked and I certainly don't want to cause myself problems with the electrics or end up contaminating any lubricating parts or whatever, but to be honest I've absolutely no idea what a safe wading depth is and at which point you have to start thinking "hang on a minute, this is a bit deep"

Advice appreciated.

Brian

Old 12-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Wading

As I know you have already see this reply Brian, I have copied it over to here so others reading through can see it..

"I don't see a snorkel in the pic so I would not wade any deeper than the top of the wheel rim to stay on the safe side. I get water in throught the door seals on mine at the mottom as the kids have torn them getting in and out. If your seals are good they shouldn't be a problem.
a wading kit consists of a plug for the timing cover and one for the bellhousing. These should not be left fitted as any oil leaking into these two areas will have nowhere to go and so will end up causing probs. The kit will also contain raised breathers for the axles but as standard they should reach high into the engine compartment so should be fine for the sort of depths you will be tackling without a snorkel. I am sure if i have forgotten anything someone else will elaborate.
I personally don't like wading too much but fitted a snorkel as a safety measure. i have (sort of accidentally) gone through a ford which came over the bonnet with the snorkel and suffered nothing worse than a damp carpet in the back. Admittedly i was lucky!
After wading it is best to check the axle and gearbox oils for any sighn of contamination just to be on the safe side.
Rich"

Old 01-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Wading

Yeah that's alright, the reason I post on the two forums at the same time anyway is because a) I'm more likely to get a good response and b) it supports both forums with more information then doesn't it

I think I'm going to steer clear of wading (well, deep wading at least) because whilst I'm all for using a LandRover for the purpose for which it was intended, I don't much fancy the idea of stinking wet carpets or electrical problems. Besides that I'm still very much a novice when it comes to off road driving so I think it's better I get some experience first. The worst case scenario when you tackle a bog or other off road obstacle is you get yourself stuck and have to find someone to help you out. Getting stuck in the middle of a deep river or fjord is a totally different experience, and the consequences of that are quite a lot worse.

For that kind of thing I'd be better off getting myself another LandRover purely for use as a hobby vehicle.

Brian