Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

"wading" into water...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "wading" into water...

Well I've searched but have come up with mixed results...

I'm trying to figure out what modifications are required to go wading with a Disco I, stock ride height. Also, how deep in water can one of these trucks safley travel? For reasons of corrosion, I'm assuming salt water is out of the question. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Old 10-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: "wading" into water...

Your right, no salt water.
For a stock D1 I wouldn't go deeper then the height of the tire, hold a steady slow speed, don't stop and have fun.
Any deeper and you will need to start sealing up things like the ECU, electrical connectios and the air filter. You should also check the vent hoses for the diffs, t/case and tranny, making sure they are high enough up to not allow water in.
Mike

Old 11-05-2006, 09:24 PM
4wd Low

It's probably a good idea to stop and allow the engine to cool down a bit, before dunking it into deep water.

I have had 1st hand experience of plunging a hot engine into icy cold waters and the auto transmission sucked in
water through the seals during the rapid cooling. Also, my diffs ingested water as well.

One of my friends experienced a crack in his exhaust manifold from the sudden cooling. [>:]

Water and machinery generally do not mix, so if you can stay out of it, don't do it!

Old 11-05-2006, 09:27 PM
4wd Low

As far as modifications go, you may want to check your axle breather hoses, and extend them if necessary.

A snorkel definitely is a MUST! So if you haven't already got one, get one fitted!

Your indicators may take in water, and if it is left in the lenses long enough, it can dull the reflectors
and leave an algae residue in the insides.

I have drilled a small drain hole right at the base of my indicators to let out the water, as there doesn't
seem to be a way of stopping the water from coming in.

I've also looked at bogging up the door seals where the slits are, and this has had limited
success in stopping water from entering the vehicle and wetting the carpets.

Old 11-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Three Wheeling

You can basically go as deep as the air intake for the engine. If your doing lots of wading a snorkel, extended axle & gearbox breathers are worthwhile, to increase the depth you can go to. Diesels are happier than petrols in water, good to spray some WD40 on the electrics first. If you go deep be prepared to get wet but don't panic. Worth checking diff & gearbox oils after wading, if the oil looks like Mayo there is water in it, so must be changed.