Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walmart batteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts
Default Walmart batteries

What experience do you have with Walmart batteries?

I know that some here swear by more expensive batteries like the Optimas, etc., but a few years ago I went with the Walmart EverStart MAXX, which has a 5-year warranty (3-year full replacement).

I don't put any unusual demands on the battery so I figured some of the advantages of buying from Walmart would add some value for me (stores everywhere, some open 24 hours, etc.)

I bought the first one in October 2014. It was a 700 CCA Group 24 EverStart MAXX. It failed in January 2016 and was replaced under warranty.

The second one failed today, and although it too will be replaced under warranty I have to consider the hassle factor of frequent replacement. Plus, it doesn't make sense my experience is common or Walmart would be losing their shirts on them. They want them to last the full five years, or at least close to that.

So again, please, what are your experiences? Thanks.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Probably a battery is a battery in the end. I actually run optimas in every car I own (besides two AMG's which get Mercedes batteries) I don't really care that they are optimas, I mostly care that they are AGM non-spillable, I have spent too much time cleaning up the corrosion that battery acid leaves behind to get another spillable battery

Old 05-11-2017, 05:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

No personal experience... but... I'm pretty sure any lead acid battery you buy at an auto store, walmart, or wherever are basically all made by the same 1 or 2 companies and rebranded. That's why they say get the one with the best warranty and closest point of service. They are all recycled. So yes, I'd say walmart is fine for that purpose. When you go into AGM (optima, odyssey, etc) then those start to differ and quality varies.

Optimas are a bad idea in my opinion - let alone the quality issues, they are simply too small. Best to fit as big a battery as you can into the factory slot (Group 24).

I'm really happy with my dual Odyssey Group 34's

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 05-11-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:03 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

I use Interstate Batteries ONLY for many years (like 30+). The reason is very simple, I just never have problems with these. And I won't waste my time buying anything based on how many times I get to use a "replacement warranty".
In the end the cheapest is never the least expensive.

Try an Interstate , IMHO you will not regret it.
You can search Interstate here > Automotive Batteries ? Truck and Car Batteries ? Vehicle Batteries Good Luck!

Last edited by OverRover; 05-11-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

I use interstate batteries also in all of my stuff including golf cart. I even get the blems at times and have one in my work car as we speak. They are great batteries and reliable in my experience. The blems carry the same warranty at a fraction of the cost, usually close to half!

Old 05-11-2017, 08:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I always bought Costco Kirkland brand for all my cars, they had 100 month warranty that was nice, mostly lasted 5 to 6.5 years & at time of replacement I got some money back on prorated warranty that was nice, but I think costco was loosing money on them (due to 100 month) & they switched to INTERSTATE with only 40 month free replacement warranty,,,
This last time I bought Walmart everstart maxx like you, but I got the group 27 (810 cca), it's been only 9-10 months now, but I also don't think much of it & don't think it will go 5 years, next time around I will try their group 27 Marine battery 700cca, if it's a real deep cycle it should last for a while even with little driving,,,
I think longest lasting batteries are DieHard merine batteries, I have one on other Disco (group 27 deep cycle & only 675 cca) & it was on the truck when I bought it 3 years ago , (have no idea how old battery was when I got the truck), last year my daughter drove the truck for 5-6 days with dead alternator before telling me, I guess I got lucky & battery didn't give up till I replaced alternator, I don't think another battery would have stayed alive without the alternator, so I do believe in deep cycle batteries over regular, (if they are made well),

Old 05-11-2017, 10:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

I've mostly had auto parts store brand batteries. I've had one walmart battery that tried to explode (never again) and one Optima yellow top that died in the cold after 6 months. From that I upgraded to an AutoCraft Group 65 AGM. 4 year warranty and its a common size. They've always got them in stock. I've been using that battery 2-1/2 years now with zero issues. Its been fully discharged three times and always fully recharged. One other time I left my key on accessories for 5 days, only to come home and have the Disco crank right up.

I can't recommend the battery highly enough. Its now in my Silverado and doing great every day in everything from -10 degrees to 90 degrees in stop and go traffic.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

Wally World everstart or whatever have served us fine for a number of years. Her RRS SC has one in it now (been there for 1.5 years and spent all winter outside in UT this year), the G Wagen does too (but it's probably wasted from the winter and me forgetting to trickle charge it) and she ran one in her 3 series for a couple years (before it got totaled).

Unless you're running a big nasty winch, I think they're fine.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by emncfi
Probably a battery is a battery in the end.
Not necessarily.

A lot of times, when you see terms like, silver, gold, platinum and such...these terms give reference to the quality of the construction.

Just so we are all on the same page, as far as construction of a battery goes...

There are plates that hang from a grid, both positive and negative charged plates, submersed in acid inside the battery housing. The thickness and amount of plates is what determines how fast the battery will discharge voltage/amperage while cranking. Thinner plates react faster, giving you full boost immediately. Thinker plates, usually found in marine application, excite slower...but maintain charge longer.

Anyhow...

On the cheaper batteries, the plates are just hanging from the grid. And are subject to coming loose under rough driving conditions.

Better batteries, the plates are secured along the bottom with a couple thin strips of expoxy. Which keeps the plates secure during most driving condition.

Best batteries, the whole bottom of the battery is flooded with expoxy...securing the entire plate. Which keep plates secure during nearly all driving conditions.

Regarding Wallmart...

We did a little product test at work one day. Since we were discussing Goodyear tires with a sales rep and wondered "how" Wallmart could sell them so much cheaper than everyone else. Anyhow, sales rep said Wallmart has Goodyear build them tires to their spec or price point. That's why when you buy a Goodyear tire at Wallmart...they're the only place that will warranty it. Well, we bought a Wallmart Goodyear RTS and a Goodyear RTS from the local tire store and lowandbehold...the Wallmart tire was seven pounds lighter. So, in essences...you get seven pounds less material inside the workings of the tire.

So, their slogan of...more for less...is bull crap. You actually get...less for less...lol.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 05-13-2017 at 06:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
longtallsally (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting fact about the tires

Quick Reply: Walmart batteries