Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy a '97 Disco - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:08 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to buy a '97 Disco - Need Help

I was offered a '97 Disco....What should I inspect before I purchase it?.....Should the vehicle looks good and after the purchase is done....besides replacing fluids, what other items should I replace or maintenance?

Please help.....

Old 03-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Want to buy a '97 Disco - Need Help

Check the head gaskets for leaks....wel, everything for leaks. Looks at the condition of the fluids and see if the diff lock works. Do a search for the 60K service on here. Good thing to do once you get a new rover.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:38 AM
7th Gear

Thank you...I will do that

Old 03-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

How much will it cost you and what are you going to be using it for, ever had a 4 wheeler before?
If you are mechanical, plan on spending around $350 for parts and fluids to get it into shape, assuming the head gasket are good.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:42 PM
7th Gear

Selling price is $3.5K...I had never owned a 4Wheel and my main intention is to do light 4Wheel to the beach and to the field....I am basic mechanic but do not want to purchase problems....the owner is a friend of mine and let me drove it for a while....so far the Disco runs good but there is a sound on the left front side (like the front left suspension system is bad) and there is a noise when the low is engaged.....what do you think it is?...head gasket is good.....

Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Noise is hard to diagnose. Does it occur when you hit a bump, or is it wheel rotation dependent? Some possibilities include a loose wheel center cap, loose break pad, worn suspension bushing or bad outer axle joint. Start looking at the simple/cheap problems first.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:57 AM
7th Gear
Default RE: Want to buy a '97 Disco - Need Help - Noises in the truck

Noise is only when I hit a bump...and hears like metal hitting metal.....

I had discovered another noises.

ENGINE:
There is a whisteling sound in the engine when accelerating....engine accelerates good but the noise bothers.

There is also sound in front of the engine like there is a blower in front of the engine, I have heard that in other engines (from other manufacturers) but do not know what is causing it.

When cold there is a noise at the bottom of the engine (like the valves noise but instead of the top of the engine is on the bottom)....what should that be?

Overall the body and interior are decent kept, the transmission changes gears without any problems. Except the transmission.....All places where there are fluids, there is a leak so I have to go and change fluids and gaskets in all places...Where is the least expensive placeto purchase these gaskets?....

Old 03-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Want to buy a '97 Disco - Need Help - Noises in the truck

Worn suspension parts.

Locked up viscus fan clutch so the engine fan is running all the time, normal when it has sat overnight, not normal when it is being driven unless it is really hot out. It will reduce your MPG if it is on all the time and it will wear out your water pump too.

Cheap oil filter will cause bad oil pressure at start-up.

Leaks, get used to it.

www.atlanticbritish.com for all your Rover needs.

YOU MUST USE PREMIUM GAS!!! Probally why your friend is selling it. I have a '97 with over 172k on it and it runs great, we love it and will never sell it. Make sure that it is the trk for you.