Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning: 70dollarhid.com

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:32 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Warning: 70dollarhid.com

I know this is not the correct place for this but I wanted to warn everyone not to do business with this company. I ordered an HID conversion kit and the warning code eliminators to make them work with my Dodge and never received my order. Now they won't even bother to respond when I call or email to find out where my refund is.

I am hoping to prevent anyone else from being taken advantage of like I have been by this company.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good lookin out

Old 04-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You get what you pay for.
Sorry about your luck and thanks for the tip.
I am still searching for a place that looks/sounds reputable for HIDs.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:01 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
You get what you pay for.

Except in this case he didn't, and therein lies the problem!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Team Owner

True but you have to realize that if its to good to be true it is not true.
$70 for HIDs? Come on, give me a break, not going to happen.
Either they will take your money and run or the HID kit will be so cheap that it was a complete waste of money.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 AM
TReK

Actually $70 for HID conversions is about the going price right now. I only paid $110 with shipping for my dual beams HID conversion off ebay and they work great.

After dealing with a few different HID kits I can tell you there's little to no difference between a $70 kit and a $300 kit. The more expensive kit may have a smaller ballast but unless you're installing on a motorcycle the normal ballast is east to find a place to mount. The ballasts for my headlights is mounted right behind the headlight on the bulkhead and the ballasts for my driving lights are tuck behind the grille where you never see them.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Actually $70 for HID conversions is about the going price right now. I only paid $110 with shipping for my dual beams HID conversion off ebay and they work great.

After dealing with a few different HID kits I can tell you there's little to no difference between a $70 kit and a $300 kit.
What store on e-bay did you buy they dual HID kit for your Rover from?

Old 04-26-2009, 09:00 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
What store on e-bay did you buy they dual HID kit for your Rover from?
hidwholesale88 is where I got my HID from. So far no problems. Disco Mike was given a HID kit by the owner of 70dollarhid to try and has had lots of problems. His driver side headlight was intermittent at best. Sometimes it would start, other times it wouldn't.

The H4 dual beam HID conversion is pretty interesting. The bulb is about 75% surrounded by a reflector that directs all the light up. When I have my headlights turned on it looks like only the top half of the light is on yet it still puts out more light than halogens.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I want to chime in on this Company, guy also. His name is Remo, the company site is 70dollarhids.com. He approached some of us on the LRRF many months ago want to give out a few kits for us to try and comment on. He sent out 4 or 5 kits, actually took us a couple of weeks of e-mails and phone calls, some of them being pretty ugly, before we actually receive them.

By the time we actually received them, most of us were so put off by his lack of business practice, lies and stalling that I was the only one that actually installed a 35 watt, 6000K single beam system in my truck.
What burns me is he has more then a dozen website, many mentioning how he gave the LRRF a number of free kits and posted how pleased we were with them, when if fact he can not be trusted in any way to follow thru with his word.

The kit was very clean, well contructed and should have been an easy plug and play with no problems. Well it wasn't, I have one light that sometimes work, sometimes doesn't, and having gone thru it a couple of times, I know it has nothing to do with how I installed it. Of course since this was a free kit, I don't have any warranty and certainly wouldn't consider dealing/buying one new replace side, ballast and light, just to fix it.

He is now chasing the Jeep clubs/forums as well as Toyota and BMW, still telling all about what a great guy he is, his lifetime free warranty and his offer of free trial kits. Don't believe a word of it.

By the way, a Rover shop owner, that I know, tried to get information from Remo regarding different aspects of his business, products and warranties. The one interesting thing that came out in their couple conversation was that these kits are all overstocks from other companies, leading me to wonder if these were also seconds or in some way not first line products.

I really like the driving advantage of driving with HID's, but find a company that will stand behind what they say, advertise or tell you by phone or e-mail.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:19 PM
TReK

Here's a site recommend by the guys at Discoweb. You know if they recommend it it has to be good. They're brutal over there and they won't put up with the crap I did.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/Ra...it-102-85.html

HID kits for $70 for 35 watt, $85 for 55 watt, and $25 more for H4 hi/lo like I have. I am eventually going to upgrade my Hellas to 55 watts just to see how bright they are.