Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Pulley - How to Remove?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Pulley - How to Remove?

I'm in the process of swapping out my watet pump and I've run into a bit of a tactical snag:

I'm following the instructions in the RAVE manual, which say to remove the auxiliary drive belt before removing the pulley.

The problem is that the pulley moves freely, making it impossible to loosen the three bolts attaching it to the water pump.

Any ideas fellas? It diesnt kook like I can even remove the pump with the pulley attached.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

If you don't have air tools it can be a bit of a pain in the ****, but what you can do and what I have done in the past to get these bolts out is to take a belt (preferably a used one) and wrap it around just that pulley, get a good grip on it and hold tension against the pulley as you loosen off the bolts. Also, if you have a SOFT strap wrench, I have also used those with pretty decent results. Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Remove fan clutch.
Remove belt.
Remove water pump.
Half done.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Use two wrenches (not wenches), one holds against one of those three pulley bolts, the other lossens one up. Sometime you can span across one bolt and put the handle of the holding wrench against another bolt. Photo shows what you will see once inside. Also, keep WP bolts in order, some are different lengths.

Pix shows interior of WP, note metal scraped off by wobbling pump (was also leaking), front cover of engine, and a way to arrange bolts. Old WP is brown from PO using "stopz-da-leekz".

This is a D1, the "newer looking" pump is from a D2, one of the few things they share.

Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Pulley - How to Remove?-p1030594.jpg   Water Pump Pulley - How to Remove?-p1030595.jpg   Water Pump Pulley - How to Remove?-p1030597.jpg   Water Pump Pulley - How to Remove?-p1030596.jpg  
Old 08-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Use two wrenches (not wenches), one holds against one of those three pulley bolts, the other lossens one up. Sometime you can span across one bolt and put the handle of the holding wrench against another bolt.
That's what I did to remove mine years ago. One wrench one one bolt holds the pulley still by tightening that bolt into the pump, while the other wrench loosens another bolt. You can then remove the second bolt the same way. When I was down to one bolt holding on the pulley, I inserted two longer bolts into the pulley, used a a longer open end wrench as a pry bar spanning the two longer bolts, and removed the final bolt.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I removed mine, my mechanic has this tool with a chain on it that goes around the pulley, then you hook the chain. Move the bar that the chain is connected to and take the wrench to it... That keeps it from moving.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
That's what I did to remove mine years ago. One wrench one one bolt holds the pulley still by tightening that bolt into the pump, while the other wrench loosens another bolt. You can then remove the second bolt the same way. When I was down to one bolt holding on the pulley, I inserted two longer bolts into the pulley, used a a longer open end wrench as a pry bar spanning the two longer bolts, and removed the final bolt.
How do you tighten them back on?

Old 08-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sloan74
How do you tighten them back on?
I snugged them fairly well and evenly, then installed the belt. With the belt in place, I was able to tighten them to torque (which wasn't a whole lot more then they were).

Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Winching

Gotcha.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks fellas! Opposing wrenches for the first two, strap wrench for the final/first on reassembly.

Savannha Buzz awesone idea on creating a template on a box for the bolts!

Thanks all!

Quick Reply: Water Pump Pulley - How to Remove?