Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump R&R

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

according to the discrition it fit 36mm & 37mm, so yes it should work.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweetness.

Water pump and lower radiator hose came Saturday. I ordered new valve cover gaskets, new o-ring to coolant rail and the upper intake gasket today. So that makes all the parts I need other than the stuff I can get locally.

I am gonna do the water pump, lower radiator hose, valve covers, upper intake gasket, 8MM wires, B +4 plat spark plugs, all in one session. Dexcool will also be flushed out and I am going with Peak (although in almost a year of ownership I have had zero issues with the dexcool).

I was going to do the water pump one weekend, wires and plugs another, then the valve covers another, but studying the Rave, it makes the most logical sense to just do everything in one tear down.

I am taking the family to Disney World first week of August (driving our new Jeep Liberty down there), then after that I will dive into this. I am budgeting an all day Saturday and maybe some on Sunday to get it done. We will see. I do have a backup plan to get to work that Monday if something goes wrong. lol

Last edited by sloan74; 07-12-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Drifting

You can actually do the water pump separate if you want to break up the work. Water pump all you do is take off the fan shroud, remove the fan, remove the fan mounting flange (3 screws) and remove the water pump (I think 8-9 screws.)

For the rest of the work you are doing, it will take some time. Sounds like you have all the right parts to replace, be careful with that o-ring, tore mine and had to take it all back apart. Also, keep track of where all your multiplugs are, I had the idle control one get stuck under the upper plenum and didn't notice until the very end. This mean a third tear down. I have the whole process down to about 15 min now ;-)

Old 07-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Drifting

Just noticed one of your earlier questions, yes you do need a ring spanner for the tensioner. You will probably want to link it with another to get some more leverage, and a second pair of hands to put the belt back on. And I forgot the "remove the belt" part in my post above.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Winching

Cool. Hey, where did you find a "ring spanner" wrench set? Can I use a 15mm socket and driver + extender bar if I cannot find one?

Also, what did you "lubricate" the o ring with? The Rave says to "Lubricate and fit new 'O' ring to coolant rail".

Was curious about this.

Last edited by sloan74; 07-12-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sloan74
Cool. Hey, where did you find a "ring spanner" wrench set? Can I use a 15mm socket and driver + extender bar if I cannot find one?

I believe "ring spanner" is just the closed end of a combination wrench. I just use the closed end of a combi wrench, with the closed end of the next size up looped into the open end of the 15mm for leverage. I would not recommend a socket as that puts the point of leverage too far from the pulley bolt head, and you risk the socket slipping and rounding the bolt head. I tried a socket with breaker bar my first go-round and didn't like the way it felt. Have used the two combi wrench setup every time since.

PS: coolant is a good lubricant.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Winching

Cool I have set of craftsman combo wrenches.

What about a flex head wrench? They look rather good for this?

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-852...0498381&sr=1-2

Probably making this more complicated than is has to be, but boredom at work will do that...

Wait I actually have a flex thru ratchet set from Kobalt I bought at Lowes to remove a few bolts off the transfer case lid when I replaced the fluid in it months ago. Guess I can try that first and see what the torq angle feels like.

Last edited by sloan74; 07-12-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I think the flex of the wrench body is going to cause issues, unless you have the strength to use just one wrench, or have a pipe to fit over the open end.

What would be ideal is a 15mm just long enough to give enough leverage, but short enough to clear the battery box, and/or the upper radiator hose.