Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, that old pump blade looks like it has an STD. Were you able to hear it grinding the housing?

Old 09-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

No, but it wobbled when running and leaked. Suspect that could be from PO using well water or hard water instead of distilled water. Or just plain no maintenance, like most old Discos owned by those who could no longer afford them.

Found it on my "lucky day", when off spring was following me in Disco. She ran over a rubber tie down strap from a semi, the kind with a "s" hook at each end. I saw it flip up under the truck. We both stopped, got out and looked (but did not look well enough). Went just a little farther and... one end of strap had hooked on rear coil spring (Vegas odds?), the other end caught on tire and split tire 360 degrees around the rim. Off spring handled the 50 mph blowout perfectly. While jacking truck, with my newly discovered long jack rod, noticed two sources of water dripping, one amidships, and one at the nose. Well the one in the middle was cold (AC). The forward one wasn't. Removed fan and fan clutch on the side of road with a pair of channel locks. It's all in the wrist, once you have had the fan on/off as many times as I have. Just a quick pop. Drove 30 miles home, only had to stop at one intersection. Don't need fan at highway speed, engine temp was 195. Better to have fan in cargo area than shred radiator or punch hole in hood.

Oh, and she was following me because my 300TE Mercedes wagon had a dead alternator regulator and we were limping home on battery alone. Had died and I was able to coast into the parking lot at the office. Now I carry a spare regulator and brushes, they change out with 2 screws on back of alternator (wish Rover's did). Like I said, a "lucky day".

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-17-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:10 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

When changing out the water pump, should you put loctite on all the water pump bolts?

Old 04-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander George
When changing out the water pump, should you put loctite on all the water pump bolts?
No but some thread sealer on the long bolts is a good idea.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,422 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I used silicone sealer on all my bolts, prevents rust, seizing, and holds them in place.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:31 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dynomite
I've got coolant gushing out of my water pump, right behind the pulley. So i'm off to buy a new pump at my local import store and change it out myself. As far as i can see it's pretty straight forward

-remove shroud
-remove fan
-remove belt
-remove 10 bolts
-clean up old residue
-install new pump
-refill coolant

did i miss anything. I'm looking for tips and tricks that may make it easier and/or a better job when i'm done. Thanks

whoa whoa don't rush .. hold your horses . ..i made a mistake and want to help you ..

not all water pumps have the same wheel or blade size ... I put a Airtex pump on my Rover .. Temp went up 20 degrees !!!!!

The radius and blade scooper things was smaaller than the pump I took off ..

Now I gotta replace the water pump again but I cant remember what I had before (Geniune land rover , Britpart ? Whatever AB sells ?). If there is someone that knows and could help him (and me) please stand up and be heard because I'm getting a 20 degree temp increase now ..

Old 04-03-2019, 04:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidOHendo
... because I'm getting a 20 degree temp increase now ..
few questions...
Just how much smaller was the radius and blade compared to the old pump? Was the width of the blade different too? I'm thinking possible coolant bypassing over the smaller propeller blade thus less system coolant flow.
Are you sure you completely bled the air from the cooling system?

Old 04-03-2019, 04:41 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
few questions...
Just how much smaller was the radius and blade compared to the old pump? Was the width of the blade different too? I'm thinking possible coolant bypassing over the smaller propeller blade thus less system coolant flow.
Are you sure you completely bled the air from the cooling system?
Yes the width was different. 1-1.5 cm radious + 1/2 cm on the width of the blades. I foolishly threw out the old pump so can't get exact measurements. It was the new Airtex. All metal. No copper like the older models. I got it from Island 4x4 Rovers. It was 1/2 the price of the AB airtex. Not sure if it's the same model. The old one was also AB but not Airtex. All air was 100% bled from the system. Put it on a hill again and again. Every last burp.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Did you use a thermal temp gun?

How high did the temp go?

Is your thermostat hot?

Old 04-03-2019, 11:56 AM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidOHendo
whoa whoa don't rush .. hold your horses . ..i made a mistake and want to help you ..

not all water pumps have the same wheel or blade size ... I put a Airtex pump on my Rover .. Temp went up 20 degrees !!!!!

The radius and blade scooper things was smaaller than the pump I took off ..

Now I gotta replace the water pump again but I cant remember what I had before (Geniune land rover , Britpart ? Whatever AB sells ?). If there is someone that knows and could help him (and me) please stand up and be heard because I'm getting a 20 degree temp increase now ..
I just put that same airtex in mine.....no issue at all with temps. Something else has to be wrong there. You did get the belt routed correctly. Im sure you did but check it again anyway.
Also I didnt measure the blades but they looked the same to me.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Replacement