Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weekend accomplishments: I am sore!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Weekend accomplishments: I am sore!

Did the front driveshaft, Magnecor wires and transfer case oil.

Since I had vibration in the new front TW driveshaft, I called TW and they sent me a new one. Arrived Thursday, installed yesterday and no more vibes now! Smooth like a baby's butt! Will send the "old" one back tomorrow with the UPS label they provided to me. Awesome service I must say!

I was going to swap the wires yesterday too, but did not get to it, so left it for today. Followed the thread on how to swap them without removing the IM. What a PITA! OK, so I removed IAC valve with hoses, removed the MAF with hoses, removed the metal tube that connects the 2 SAI valves and then started pulling old wires off the coil. I first checked to see if the way mine were hooked up, corresponded with Rave and what was written on the forum before. They did, so it was just following the diagram I wrote up from then on. But why in the world did LR place the coil in such a STUPID spot??? They could have mounted it anywhere else and it would have been easier to get to! Anyway, climbed on top of the engine, got my hands in and popped them off one by one. Then the fun started; putting the new ones back on. I layed them all out on the floor to get the right length for each wire and started with the bottom row. At least, that's what I thought I was doing all that time. I attached the top row wires to the bottom row on the coil. DUMB A..!! Did not find out untill I started the top row and remembered that 1 used to be on top. I pulled all of them off again but wire 5 that was on coil 3 did not come off until it came apart. I apologize for the words that came out of my mouth and to my church going neighbors...

I managed to gather the parts, fixed the wire, installed them all correctly, checking 5 times BEFORE snapping them on, put the rest back together, lit a candle and started the car.... All well! Pfew!!

I then proceeded to drain the transfer case. I was finally able to open up the filler plug using a 1/2" wobble and an extension. I attached an oversized torque wrench and had to put my foot on it. It finally got loose after which I
took the drain plug out. Nothing worriesome on the magnet, but only 1.5 quarts of black oil came out... OOPS! Filled it up with Valvoline 75W-90 and we're good to go!

A beer never tasted this good!

Next weekend I will likely drain the AT for the second time and install a new AT filter. I would also like to drain and refill the power steering next weekend. After that, the only thing left of Mike's 60K service is the coolant and thermostat. I also need to get an alignment because I can hear my PS pump crying constantly and my steering wheel is not straight. Hopefully that will take care of that problem. Once that is done, I can move on to the fun stuff: lift, lights, front bumper, tires and other goodies!

Cheers!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a good productive weekend. You may hurt now but your Disco is going to treat you good because of all the effort.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the idea!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:24 AM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are right the wires are a supreme PITA. I just need to change the t/stat and my 60K service is complete. Rover definitely runs a LOT better now than when I bought it (wires/platinum+4 plugs were definitely an upgrade over the stock wires and el cheapo plugs that were swapped out). Put on the EBC pads yesterday and used anti squeak/squeal and so far so good with that and no amigos for 600 miles now since I first cleaned the brakes really good. Now all I need is a t/stat and it is on to the fun stuff to add on .