Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird starting issue this morning

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
I was thinking 'solenoid' didn't sound right.

It's not impossible that the starter was poorly remanufactured. I've had a couple of bad parts directly out of the box over the years.
True, I am looking at some UK Land Rover forums and they are suggesting cleaning and lubricating the Bendix, which quite honestly sounds like very plausible solution. It would also explain why it behaves better warmed up than cold. I will inspect and clean the starter connections of any corrosion then clean and lub the Bendix. If that fails I'll pull the starter and bench test and replace if necessary.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:19 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

If the battery is 4 years old or older - it is done.
Replace it.
Walmart $110 for a new battery.

Even at 3+ years old - you may have just gotten a bad battery.
If water is evaporating off of the battery and the plates are showing, then it is losing cranking power.
If you can add distilled water.

I would just pony up $100.
Go to walmart.
Get a new battery.

Done.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Why don't people at least put what STATE they reside in?

I would love to help many Rover people out....for free even, but I never know where they live.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Mudding

So it could be the starter, the cabling, or the battery.

To eliminate the cabling AND the battery, measure the voltage at the starter, then at the battery, both while cranking.

You are looking for at least 10V at the starter, while cranking. Also you are looking for 1V or less voltage drop between the battery and starter, in the cabling.

Just been through all this on my sailboat, the problem was a terminal that was badly crimped to a battery cable.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:04 AM
Mudding
Exclamation

Originally Posted by MarkSF
So it could be the starter, the cabling, or the battery.

To eliminate the cabling AND the battery, measure the voltage at the starter, then at the battery, both while cranking.

You are looking for at least 10V at the starter, while cranking. Also you are looking for 1V or less voltage drop between the battery and starter, in the cabling.

Just been through all this on my sailboat, the problem was a terminal that was badly crimped to a battery cable.
True, it's not the battery I just bought a brand new one yesterday (700 CCA).
I have her up on ramps and I will check the cabling and starter today.

The alternator is also good and was recently replaced. The starter AND the other battery were replaced 1 year and 100 miles ago which makes these failures unlikely. What i am guessing is that the Bendix is sticking in the cold weather and needs to be lubricated. From the initial tests that I have done on checking the cables and the sound that it makes on start up. I do not think that it is because the starter is not getting enough juice. I am going to have to pull the starter and bench test it. i have been hesitant until now because we have gotten so much snow that without my girl i would be stranded in my neighborhood. We just got another freak snow the other day. I need at least a few uninterrupted days to pull and test everything.