Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well I'm Getting A New Back Window And Some Quarter Panel Work

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Well I'm Getting A New Back Window And Some Quarter Panel Work

So I was leaving for work Tuesday morning and went into my Disco for something, and when I closed the door it sounded like ice sheets falling off of the back and landing on the bumper. I quickly realized that someone had shattered my back window, kicked in the lower rear quarter panels on both sides, and somehow smashed and ripped off half of my bumper shell. I'm scheduled to get it inspected by my apraiser this Thursday, but I'm definitely out 500$ for the deductable now. This sets me back a bit in the area of modifications.....SUCKS! And just to add insult to injury, it managed to rain ALL DAY LONG yesterday which soaked the back before I could get a tarp on it after work

Old 10-12-2011, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Sound like you were struck from the rear, hard. May also have damage to fuel tank and pump inside, which pretty much rests against bottom of tank. And probably a wrinkle in the area around rear sun roof. And certainly it must have knocked that expedition class roof rack off... wouldn't happen to have been parked in the back up radius of the big truck that empties the trash dumpster? And with that much crumple zone, what about frame? Won't be far from a total. Got aluminum to work with back there.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-12-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Just read this on another forum, and confirmed it in RAVE, the rear quarters just bolt on. Since the labor for replacement is likely very low, it's probably cheaper to replace than to repair. Heck, you might even be able to find a white part, and not need paint... that might absorb some of your deductible for you.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

And on the idea that it might have been a marked commercial truck that did this, from that parking spot, are you in view of any security cameras that may have recorded it? A big truck usually has a big sign....

Old 10-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Attached are RAVE info sheets on quarter panel, of course could have under damage as well. Also have time list of expected labor hours for these types of repairs. Usually the mushroom factor arises, and there are a lot more things that have to be replaced that just one panel per side.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 qtr.PDF (1,016.0 KB, 167 views)
File Type: pdf
d2 time.PDF (208.5 KB, 117 views)
Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

that's crazy! 15 hours to replace a part that just bolts on! maybe I'm in the wrong line of work

Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

I think that also includes paint time and electrical/trim parts remove replace. But I can imagine Rascally Rover Re-sellers would easily double it if allowed to. On the other hand, would not want insurance company to short change any one.

My notes about video cams were directed at getting deductible back - if you can show it was Joe Schmo Trucking and Toilet Cleaning, you have also saved the $500. Worth driving around and looking for them, or things like the dumpsters, should have left paint on the truck that was attracted to that great looking Rover.

Guess you are lucky alarm did not immobilize...

Old 10-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

I've only had one insurance claim for someone hitting me in a parking lot, but it was covered under un-insured motorists. No deductible with a police report confirming the unknown person was at fault, or only $200 deductible with not police report.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Mudding

Actually it was sitting in my yard about two to three feet from the road. There isn't any damage to the upper end of the vehicle and the damage to the bottom parts of the quarter panel is slight. It really looks like someone just kicked the s#$t out of it for some reason. I'll have to post some pictures when I get home. I'm not exactly sure why someone would do this, but there are a lot of kids in my neighborhood and we get some sketchy people walking around every once in a while. It could have been a hit and run, but I'm thinking not since there isn't much crumpling that is characteristic of a car crash. That and there's no paint from another vehicle.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Mudding

So a little update. I had an adjuster look at the damage to my truck Thursday. I was fairly surprised with how easy the process was considering I went with Progressive and have heard some horror stories about them. But after about 30 minutes of inspection and paper work, they wrote me a 2700$ check minus my 500$ deductible. I cannot imagine a bumper, back window, and some lower rear quarter panel damage costing that much to fix (Sorry you'll have to use your imagination. I'll get some pictures of the damage up tomorrow. Been crazy busy all weekend).

Quick Reply: Well I'm Getting A New Back Window And Some Quarter Panel Work