Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went mudding, i now have some new issues with my Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:35 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Codes? If you have a rough idle there should be lights and codes.

Do you have a check engine light on?

Three Amigos? Any sign of those? If you do then your TC wont work properly which would cause you to get stuck.

How long have you had the truck? Are you sure all the warning lights work?

Without more info, we and you are just guessing at this point

Last edited by Dave03S; 03-06-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fpdavis3
Hello,

I went Mudding in my 2003 Discovery II, after some fun in the mud i got stuck. I was actually stuck in the mud for a couple of hours. My Traction Control did not work great so i was stuck just spinning one tire. if you need to know how deep i was i can post a picture of how deep it was.

But on to the main part. After getting my car out i had this weird sound and vibratiion on my front left area, it sounded like it was the front left tires traction control trying to turn on but it sounded more mechanical. After driving it for a few days later it still made this sound. After listening more intently it sounded like my transmission was having a hard time shift (It mainly happens when i turn or accelerate, it will even sometimes shake just a tiny but while i am just idling at a red light). Also when i go on the freeway at around 70MPH+ my car also starts vibrating kinda violently. I would love to know what you guys think of what my problem is and any tips you guys might have. i would greatly appreciate your feedback!!
I've had mud dry up on parts you would not expect and cause vibration. Check all pulleys, fan, etc... Anything that can move. Make sure everything is really clean. Tires can also jump around after mudding due to mud being stuck in wheels. Look inside and behind wheels, axles, drivelines, etc... Mud can get packed everywhere.

I refuse to mud my LR really hard, because you will have it inside everything for years. A couple of my vehicles would drop mud in my driveway after each rain for a couple years. It gets stuck in the frame, and every crevice. Of course, that's DEEP mudding, which it sounds like you did. But, without those scientific photos, it's hard to tell.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the feedback!! I am also pretty new to these forums so i did not know how to upload a photo, lol but now i should be able too, I have also just recently fully got the 3 amigos, i have had the TC, ABS, and the emergency brake lights turn on before i went mudding. Now i have the TC, ABS, HDC and the emergency brake lights on. I am pretty sure the sounds and vibration is just mud but i really want to make sure. I have not checked the codes yet since we have loaned our Code Reader to a friend so i will not have it for awhile, and i have not been to any other place that reads them lately so ya. It was sad that the mud was not that deep on the right side but the left rear tire was the worst and the TC could not control it so it just kept spinning.

Attached Thumbnails Went mudding, i now have some new issues with my Discovery II-cole-stuck-mud-1.jpg  
Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Overlanding

You have no TC with TC light on. I wonder why your emergency brake light is on (it may indicate another brake failure, like low brake fluid level)

Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 AM
Mudding

That's some slimy soup you got yourself into.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep, with TC light on - no traction control. Also - Center Diff Lock? If not, it's just all wheel drive. An F250 will be better because when you put it in 4x4 it's locking front to rear... put in a CDL and get your traction control system working and it will blow the doors off the F250. With all that said, when you're talking deep mud like that, there's NO replacement for lockers, front and rear.

I've learned it's best to stay out of the mud. At least, up here in New England we've got lots of rock / forest without mudpits as another option.

I learned this with my Jeep years ago. 6 mins in the mudpit, literally 3 hours powerwashing to get it near to clean.

Dave

Old 03-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
Yep, with TC light on - no traction control. Also - Center Diff Lock? If not, it's just all wheel drive. An F250 will be better because when you put it in 4x4 it's locking front to rear... put in a CDL and get your traction control system working and it will blow the doors off the F250. With all that said, when you're talking deep mud like that, there's NO replacement for lockers, front and rear.

I've learned it's best to stay out of the mud. At least, up here in New England we've got lots of rock / forest without mudpits as another option.

I learned this with my Jeep years ago. 6 mins in the mudpit, literally 3 hours powerwashing to get it near to clean.

Dave
I agree about the lockers just haven't gotten that far yet. $$ . Done the 3" lift w/extended brake lines and sway links and bumpstops all terafirma at lucky 8 plus 285/75/16 super swampers ssr's cdl will be next then Detroit lockers I'm getting there .

Name:  Screenshot_2014-02-03-18-11-16_zpsoalpzma9.png
Views: 572
Size:  1.14 MB

Old 03-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Overlanding

Ps my tc system is working but my comparison was factory drive train to factory drive train + legitimate off road tires I didn't mean to offend anyone just a comment I like my discovery just will need more money to make it as competent good luck to all . "Also I'm in New York .... I know I will hang my head low "

Last edited by hk9176251; 03-07-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by d7sec
You have no TC with TC light on. I wonder why your emergency brake light is on (it may indicate another brake failure, like low brake fluid level)
My E-Brake light comes on as part of the 3 Amigos. 4 Amigos on mine...

Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by fpdavis3
It was sad that the mud was not that deep on the right side but the left rear tire was the worst and the TC could not control it so it just kept spinning.
Sweet! Maybe not really deep, but definitely deep enough... And it looks nice and sticky/suctiony.

Quick Reply: Went mudding, i now have some new issues with my Discovery II