Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went off roading this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:28 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Went off roading this weekend...

Im going to jump in on this and add that MP3's that are produced today are just as good as other audio options. I would also advise downloading a RECENT mp3 and getting the exact song on CD (or something of the like) and testing if you can tell the difference. If the MP3 is converted properly, with all the technology they have to do it with, it will be just as good quality. You will find MP3s that have droped notes, out of balance bass or treb, those have been done by an amature. MP3 will take over, or something similar. Say goodbye to CD's!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spike - Sounds like a plan..

Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt I had to step in since there is all this discussion about mp3's vs other formats. To make it short, I work in a recording studio. Siince maybe 10 years most of home studios went to digital recording, making it easier to do editing and such. But with ny digital format, you lose quality, ie all the richness of the sound. Where I work, we record with a computer but we still use any possible analog recording technique matched with our protools system. We use a large variety of vintage microphones and tube amps because there are no equivalent in any modern technology.

Mp3 are definitely the worst format to render your music. the difference is barely audible for someone who doesn't pay attention to it. But mp3s alter the frequencies of the music, it boosts the higher frequencies. Those high frequencies can cause a large amount of damage to your ears. Recent studies (I don't remember where I read that) show that the youth of north america will have hearing problem in the future due to extensive use of mp3 players. I wouldn't recommend an mp3 player since you lose a lot of sound quality. mp3s definitely sound like crap [:'(].

BTW hazlet you have a really nice looking Disco , mine would definitely need a paintjob soon...

Old 11-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Hehe thank you Jull it will look a lot nicer with some new bumpers, OME springs, 32" m/ts, and some lights up on the roof

And I think all Discos are eye candy.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some great speakers that are not marketed as waterproof but are come from ARC Audio. I had an office next door to their factory, I was looking for speakers for my boat. I asked them for a reccomendation or if they had some and they said theirs would work just fine. They actually pulled out a bucket and dropped them in the water and they worked just fine. The issue is in the connections on the back, they need ot be protected no matter if they are waterproof or not, use some dielectric grease and be done with it. I see the subs as being worst culprit since they are so low, if you have water up to the bottom of the windows there is a lot more waterproofing you need to do than just audio.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

thanks for the recommendation. I'm aware of the other waterproofing that needs to be done, I've got dielectric grease all over my truck. I just want some speakers that if I bring a wet pair of boots or something in the car and water gets on the cones they won't be destroyed. I'll give them a look though