Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What bothers you the most about your disco

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 03:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
yep... the whole enchilada.
Got it. Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Headliner and sunroofs are a spring project.

Another thing I need to tackle is getting rid of the third row seats. Easy enough to unbolt them and rip them out, but I need to fit some sort of cover in their place so that I can still use the cargo cover. If you just remove the seats, the cargo cover doesn't hide whatever is left in the back.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

My biggest problem with discos is that they are so cool that every time I stop at a red light i have some beautiful woman just jump into my passenger seat. I drive with the doors locked just to keep myself safe.

The following 4 users liked this post by zuke:
bfhogues (08-27-2021), CollieRover (02-03-2020), jastutte (02-03-2020), Mullins.cody (06-18-2021)
Old 02-03-2020, 03:52 PM
Mudding
Received 160 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm a tall guy - stupid rear view mirror right in the way of looking out the front windshield! There's been a couple of times it's blocked a whole vehicle from view. After a few near misses that were my fault I've made a habit of looking under it. Not comfortable!

Old 02-03-2020, 03:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by boston4
Headliner needs to be redone. That'll be a pain in the ***.
I have long evangelized for painting the headliner. I painted the one in my truck a little over 10 years ago and it still looks fabulous. And it will never, ever sag.

https://discoweb.org/index.php?threa...learned.64989/

Yes it's a pain to remove and reinstall the headliner, but the results are worth it in my opinion.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Are my 4 D1/D2's perfect? Not 100% but I'd take any one of them HANDS DOWN vs anything made today. When I was younger it was all about being shiny and new. Now into my 40's I'm all about it being simple, yet with classic and elegant design ques. The new stuff is just an AMD/Intel chipset on wheels IMHO. Sure they're quieter, smoother (although most new SUV's I've ridden in are extremely harsh if you ask me vs a RRC/D1/D2). The dash on any 94-04 D1/D2 is simple yet it still looks good today with everything where you need it for the most part. It feels solid going down the road. My 237K 02 Kalahari feels nice and tight just like the 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee I had as a rental car when my van was in the shop a few weeks ago.

The only thing I see that is not up to today's standards is the HVAC system. Yes it blows cold, but due to our D1/D2's being older the foam which seals the HVAC box is dry rotted and most of that cool air just seeps behind the dash (lower part of the windshield will eventually start to fog up on long trips as an example). That is really my only complaint. It will eventually cool off inside, but it reminds me more of a house AC system vs a vent blowing cold air directly onto you.

I'm fine with the brakes, the engine, the transmission, the 4x4 system, and I absolutely love how they drive, sound, and look. I'll confess on long trips I love passing those SS Milk Tankers just so I can see my reflection or whenever I pass thru a town with store front windows!!!!

I've owned a lot of 4x4's but none of them have ever made me as happy as a RRC/D1/D2. I'd love a boxy old D90/110, but not at the prices people want for them when I can get a D1/D2 which is more comfortable and trip friendly.

The following 2 users liked this post by Best4x4:
jastutte (02-04-2020), Nemesis (03-07-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 05:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

Best - how do you characterize the differences between your LR3 and D2s?

Old 02-03-2020, 05:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by NewToTheTwo
I'm also VERY annoyed sometimes that luxury car brands cant use better plastics. BMW was even worse in similarly aged vehicles, plastics under the hood and around the outside of the car just deteriorated like crazy.. While everything on the 2003 Volvo we have looks amazing for its age.
BMW era plastics are the WORST! MB are almost as bad. Nissans and GM is worse. The infuriating thing on the Disco is the freaking fender flares are damn near indestructable, but the other plastics will break if you look at it wrong.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Call around to vehicle/boat re-upholstery places... mine was around $300.
My local guy only charges me $80, but I bring him the headliner after taking it out.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:26 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
does the disco not have tilt steering ?? Never noticed
Tilts very little, zero telescoping.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:39 PM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Are my 4 D1/D2's perfect? Not 100% but I'd take any one of them HANDS DOWN vs anything made today. When I was younger it was all about being shiny and new. Now into my 40's I'm all about it being simple, yet with classic and elegant design ques. The new stuff is just an AMD/Intel chipset on wheels IMHO. Sure they're quieter, smoother (although most new SUV's I've ridden in are extremely harsh if you ask me vs a RRC/D1/D2). The dash on any 94-04 D1/D2 is simple yet it still looks good today with everything where you need it for the most part. It feels solid going down the road. My 237K 02 Kalahari feels nice and tight just like the 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee I had as a rental car when my van was in the shop a few weeks ago.

The only thing I see that is not up to today's standards is the HVAC system. Yes it blows cold, but due to our D1/D2's being older the foam which seals the HVAC box is dry rotted and most of that cool air just seeps behind the dash (lower part of the windshield will eventually start to fog up on long trips as an example). That is really my only complaint. It will eventually cool off inside, but it reminds me more of a house AC system vs a vent blowing cold air directly onto you.

I'm fine with the brakes, the engine, the transmission, the 4x4 system, and I absolutely love how they drive, sound, and look. I'll confess on long trips I love passing those SS Milk Tankers just so I can see my reflection or whenever I pass thru a town with store front windows!!!!

I've owned a lot of 4x4's but none of them have ever made me as happy as a RRC/D1/D2. I'd love a boxy old D90/110, but not at the prices people want for them when I can get a D1/D2 which is more comfortable and trip friendly.

the hvac is ione thing I really enjoy it’s my first car with automatic climate control
I just have it on econo mode in the winter and set for for 21 and done.
Mine blows ice cold in summer

Quick Reply: What bothers you the most about your disco