Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What bothers you the most about your disco

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Oh Red it blows super cold, but most of the airflow is lost behind the dash. If I ever get bored I guess resealing the HVAC box would be something I'd attack.

D1/D2 vs LR3 hmmm for me personally the LR3 is way to picky to ever fully gain my trust.

The 4.4L Jag engine is superb, but I can't stand the Can Bus system!!!!! It's the first of it's kind I know, but geez one hiccup and every module will loose communication and if you ever look thru the fault codes you have to skip past a lot of junk like that to see the real fault codes buried within all that mess. The LR3 is very power hungry, and if your alternator or battery aren't in good condition all sorts of crazy stuff can happen. I've owned my LR3 for a good while now and overall it's been reliable. I now wish I'd never got one without the HD Package as that's just something else to break (getting rear locker calibration faults now). I've had the sunroof explode for no good reason and that was just plain pathetic and it wasn't even during the summer time. Especially when you think that 90% of the roof is glass! I got that fixed, then I've had Cruise Control not permitted faults for no good reason with no faults showing to cause it. The wife honestly wants it gone, and she would drive a D2, but sadly although I love my wife dearly I can't just hand her the keys to a D1/D2 as I know her driving habits. She'll sit for 30min to an hour with the AC on just piddling on her phone waiting on my daughter during soccer practice or girl scouts and that is not something a D1/D2 can do for very long in SETX in the middle of the summer. The LR3 wins in that department, but even with the LR3 my wife wouldn't see the warning lights flashing until the hood blew off.

Ride wise I find the LR3 stiffer vs the D1/D2. The EAS (when it works) is cool to be able to raise/lower your vehicle, but it's not a matter of if it will fail it's a matter of when will it fail. Once you've been in an EAS equipped vehicle that drops down to the bumpstops 2+ hours from home loaded down with stuff you will NEVER want EAS on another vehicle again. I had it happen with my 97 P38 and let me tell you I can remember it like it was yesterday. Every pebble in the road made it bounce violently up/down F/R. When my P38 faulted it was due to sand getting inside one of the height senors..... With the LR3 any major faults or a combo of faults = sends you to the ground even though your EAS bags might not even be leaking..... That is something I've never understood. Why does it think lowering itself to the ground is helpful when say your transmission faults??? It goes back to the Can Bus I was talking about earlier. Then the dash plastic used on the LR3/RRS = pure crap. I put it up there with the D2 windshield cowl plastic. I am very lucky and my LR3 only has cracks around the passenger airbag, but I've seen some that were cracked over 99% of the dash in TX. The interior of the LR3 is way more usable especially the 3rd row, but the front seat armrest really really get in the way if you need to lean back and grab something. Only way to avoid that issue is to have them down. If they're up out of the way they're actually in the darn way lol. Climate control is good, visibility is good, and it is awesome off road. However I will NEVER take an LR3 out in the middle of no where like Big Bend. Just cause to many things could go wrong and leave you totally up a creek without a paddle from EAS, Transmission faults, or electrical issues.

The D1/D2 is simple when compared to an LR3. If the 3 amigo's is our biggest issue (super easy to fix these days) then I'll take that anyday vs anything the LR3 could throw at you. Also a lot of stuff on the D1/D2 can be cross referenced vs the LR3. The only reason I got the LR3 was for the true 3rd row capacity. The D1/D2 have 3rd rows, but it's more for short trips or off road vs highway trips. When I look out into my driveway and see my 2 D1's & 3 D2's sitting next to the LR3. There is no doubt which ones I love the most. The classic lines, the curves, the roughed looks, and yes the British quirks are what make a LR a LR. The LR3 doesn't have those same classic lines or British quirks. Compared to the newer LR's or SUV's out there the LR3 does look better. However it can not sit by an older D1/D2 and look victorious IMHO.

The following 5 users liked this post by Best4x4:
boston4 (02-03-2020), CollieRover (03-07-2020), JUKE179r (02-04-2020), No Doubt (03-08-2020), whowa004 (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 04:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I only wish my truck had more power. But I’m working on that. Lol

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (03-07-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 05:03 PM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastercat

ya I agree however I don’t mind the power good enough for me

Old 03-06-2020, 08:12 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHSE7
That no matter what I do the darn car keeps leaking oil on my driveway.
just put the mat upside down under neath it.

Old 03-06-2020, 11:23 PM
Mudding
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

The biggest issue for me is the engine issues when it comes to slipped liners, cracks between cylinder and water jacker, broken oil pump gears, etc. Basically all the catostrophic failues they are known for that will leave the vehicle sitting for a while. Fortunately I have not encountered any of these yet but I've developed a light knock when warm that I haven't diagnosed. I'm planning on rebuilding the top end when my other vehicle is back on the road and hopefully I can track down the cause then.

The other problems I have are actually just components grouped together, such as the horrible brittle plastic thats broken everywhere and the crappy electronics.

But my biggest issue I have is the people who have owned these things and never took care of them properly. It is virtually impossible to find a well taken care of disco 2. Every vehicle for sale has all the common issues from lack of maintenance or isn't even in an operational state. I can't stand the way people treat their vehicles like a throw away item. Most people I encounter either drive the newest vehicle they can get and will never not have a car payment for the resr of their life or drive clapped out garbage. Only a VERY small amount of people take care of their stuff. When people think 100,000 miles is high mileage, you know they don't know how to take care of their vehicle. Believe me when I say if you are even reading this forum and plan to do maintenance and repairs on your own disco you are the minority.

The following 2 users liked this post by 11chuck:
CollieRover (03-07-2020), Crusader_22 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 08:27 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastercat
have you looked at RPi in England? They build Rover V8’s and have heads with oversized calves that I drool over. Also, Tornado Systems tunes the Bosch ECU.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:02 PM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 11chuck
The biggest issue for me is the engine issues when it comes to slipped liners, cracks between cylinder and water jacker, broken oil pump gears, etc. Basically all the catostrophic failues they are known for that will leave the vehicle sitting for a while. Fortunately I have not encountered any of these yet but I've developed a light knock when warm that I haven't diagnosed. I'm planning on rebuilding the top end when my other vehicle is back on the road and hopefully I can track down the cause then.

The other problems I have are actually just components grouped together, such as the horrible brittle plastic thats broken everywhere and the crappy electronics.

But my biggest issue I have is the people who have owned these things and never took care of them properly. It is virtually impossible to find a well taken care of disco 2. Every vehicle for sale has all the common issues from lack of maintenance or isn't even in an operational state. I can't stand the way people treat their vehicles like a throw away item. Most people I encounter either drive the newest vehicle they can get and will never not have a car payment for the resr of their life or drive clapped out garbage. Only a VERY small amount of people take care of their stuff. When people think 100,000 miles is high mileage, you know they don't know how to take care of their vehicle. Believe me when I say if you are even reading this forum and plan to do maintenance and repairs on your own disco you are the minority.

well said
never understood people that will spend thousands on rims and other useless items and yet the body is rotting away

cvhyatt (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

Hmm - my issues are just annoying ones. Most of my mechanical issues are resolved (as best I can tell).
  1. I live on a golf course and someone hit a golf ball into my hood. Now when I drive it, all I see is that big dent in the front.
  2. Door lock actuators - two of them don't work. Can't believe how much I miss auto-unlock from the key fob!
  3. Hood and roof paint clear coat is trashed. Can wait to get enough money together to repaint this thing.
  4. Curling dash - yet another thing I have to stare at while driving. Hoping to fix this when it gets warmer out.
  5. Lastly - this thing makes me paranoid. It's my daily driver and so every noise or light freaks me out!

JUKE179r (05-14-2021)
Old 03-08-2020, 03:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
Hmm - my issues are just annoying ones. Most of my mechanical issues are resolved (as best I can tell).
  1. I live on a golf course and someone hit a golf ball into my hood. Now when I drive it, all I see is that big dent in the front.

The windshield cowl plastic shames execs at Rover.
The HVAC gaps bleeding off air flow needs an easy fix and write-up.
The steering wheel needs a spacer or other length adjustment besides just being able to raise it up or lower it down.

The 3rd row seats should have been made modular... to pop in or pop out based on whether you needed to haul people or gear. Lack of creativity at Rover on that one.
The thermostat should have been inline.
The PVC 308 mod should have been OEM.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pvc 308 mod

I was searching back old threads, and you made the comment, "PVC 308 Mod should have been OEM." In all my browsing, I have not come across this topic. could you please elaborate or send me a link? I've searched the forum and nothing came back in the search.

Thanks for your time!

Regards.
Virgil

Quick Reply: What bothers you the most about your disco