Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 03:30 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the difference?

What's the mechanical difference between Series 1 and 2 ? Which one is better off road ? I work for a small forestry service so the trucks life will be mainly in the woods. I can fix anything mechanical just not to good with electrical/computer stuff. Is it true that it has a Buick v8 ? If so whats it got for a transfer case and transmission ? Are they domestic too? Or do they have some import to domestic adapter on it ? I'm just wondering since i need to upgrade from my 78 CJ and my 73 scout which I have decided are too far gone to fix back up.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: What the difference?

I'm not sure about the engine in the D2s, but the engine in the D1, like mine, was originally designed for and put in Buicks in the sixties. It was one of the first all aluminum V8s, and I remember first seeing one in a '63 Buick Skylark. It was also used in the Triumph TR8 and the Triumph Stag. Of course the one used in the Discos bears little resemblance to the original. It must have been British Leyland that bought the design long ago. It must be a pretty good design, but it is still a fairly basic pushrod V8 although with all the electronic gear and fuel system, etc. I have seem some comments that it does not have a lot of oomph or low end torque, but the trucks are geared so that in low you can just about climb a tree.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Overlanding

Many beleive the DI is better for off road, but both have their advantages.

The DI is more of a true offroad truck; simple and over built. You can swap axles in the field! This truck is one of the last true Land Rovers.

The DII is heavily BMW influenced. The biggest improvement (IMO) is the switch from Lucas electronics to Bosch. The fenders are wider, allowing a larger tire for a given lift. The truck is slightly bigger overall. The suspension linkages are different on top, similar on bottom, so suspension mods are different from the DI. They removed the locking center differential (CDL) on the DII, but you can add it back in. If you have a '99 or early '00, the parts are all there, you just add the lever. They put the lock back in '04 just before moving to the DIII (LR3).

I have a stock DII (tire upgrade only) and have taken it over trails I would not have considered in any of my previous vehicles (the largest was a '95 Nissan 4x4 on 30 inch tires, so nothing huge). I thought I wouldnt make it, but other local rover owners kept telling me to go, and it went. Even stock both truck rule.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:24 AM
Mudding

I agree with Horizon. The series 1 is the better offroad vehicle. The series 2 was also lengthened to where the approach, departure and overcenter angles have suffered a bit. They also have bumpers that are easy to work with with less plastic cladding to get damaged. Lastly the electronics in the series 2 like Hill Descent Control and Traction Control are not very happy on constant dirt and the warning lights have been known to come on often. Hopes this helps your decision.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:08 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks guys I'm going after a true off road truck so Its the D1. I Just took a test drive in both a D1 and a D2 at a local dealer who just happen to have a D2 for sale and his personal truck was a D1. So he let me take out them both. His D1 was modded and the D2 was stock but what a differance. The D2 felt like a big car and the D1 was a truck. Weird how two trucks that look almost the same could be so differant. He also told me to go to east coast rovers web site. Some good info there. He did the fender well chop on his running 33inch swampers on wolf/nato rims with no prob very cool. He also said that he knows a guy who converted the whole running gear (motor,tranny\transfer,and full axles) over to GM running a 300hp 350 gave me his number i'm gonna call him this week to see if I can come take a look for myself. Has anyone ever heard of doing this I'm sure it can be done? Its still insane but my kind of project. Ill let you guys know what I find see if I cant take some pics of it.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: xb70valkarye

I agree with Horizon. The series 1 is the better offroad vehicle...
I am always hesitant to say this (maybe because I have a DII ). Either one will smoke most other vehicles if done correctly. Both have the beginnings of a wonderful offroad machine (coil springs, solid axles, etc).

Mechanically, yes the DI, but electrically, no... I prefer Bosch running my electronics than Lucas. But... How often do electronics fail? Almost never.

Also, the DII will fit larger tires with less lift, allowing more ground clearance for less. I can fit 285/75 with a 2 inch lift (snug) or easily with 3 inches. I think you need about 5 inches to put them on a D1.

There are more mods available for a DI, from more manufacturers. The DI is more field-repairable (mechanically).

A DI can fit 15 inch wheels; let me tell you... 15 inch off road tires are MUCH cheaper than 16 inch. Get 33x12.5LT15 for much less than 265/75LT16.

As for power upgrades, I never feel underpowered off road. I am usually going very slow and dont need much power. On road, occasionally, I could use more, but I live in the mountains. I really cant complain with the stock engine.