New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Difference Between Discovery and Range Rover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 04:21 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference Between Discovery and Range Rover?

Hi,

Newb here. I tried searching for the differences between the Discovery and the Range Rover, but I could not find any threads on that.

In any case, can anyone tell me the basic differences between the two? I'm considering getting a used (1996 or so) SUV for commuting and the occaisional easy off road ride (forest roads). I'm pretty good with a wrench, so no worries on maintaining it, I'll do as much of the work on it as possible.

I haven't even sat or really looked at either the Discovery or Range Rover, but I've always like them, so am considering them.

One thing, I'm 6'6", so if one has more head room, that would be good to know.

Any input or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ed

Old 12-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Difference Between Discovery and Range Rover?

I would suggest you go drive both first to at least get a feel for them then ask more specific questions.
Mike

Old 12-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Difference Between Discovery and Range Rover?

At 6'6", you'd want a Range Rover, I'm pretty sure it has better headroom and it definitely has more legroom.

Basically, the Range Rover is the "high end" model - everything is a bit more luxurious. It's also a little wider.

A ~1996 Range Rover should be $2000-$10000 depending on mileage and use; a Disco may be around the same (my '98 sold for $3000 with 175,000 miles and a fair amout of off-road use but cosmetically decent). Most have (shamefully) never been offroad. Parts and service should be around the same cost for either. There were a lot more Discos produced, I believe. If you can get one with less than 100,000 miles, that'd be good; there are some major components that should be looked at around that point. Most of the gremlins in the Rovers seem to be in the minor electrical systems - window motors, light switches, seat switches. If the previous owner has been good about doing service every 5000 miles or less the drivetrain should last a long time; the usual things like alternators, pumps, etc usually last longer than Japanese versions; the Rovers leak oil and fluids a lot more, though, and if you don't watch that there might be problems - or as they say "if it's not leaking, it's empty." Range Rover mileage may be a little less; expect 12-14 vs 13-15 in a Disco.

I rolled an 84 Range Rover, and not only was uninjured, but managed to drive it home (it later dropped a piston, but that's my own stupidity for not blowing the oil out the cylinders after rolling it!). Really sturdy vehicles.