Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished doing my head gaskets on my '04 with SAI. It was not that bad of a job even with the SAI. All totaled, it probably took me about 8 hours to take it apart and 7 to put it back together. The key to the whole job is having the necessary tools, bagging and labeling all the bolts as soon as you take them off and having a nice table to place everything on. The RAVE is a great tool as well, but takes time to get it in the order that you will use it.
I cannot recommend Will Tillery enough for his prices and speed of shipping. He sold me the complete gasket kit, new head bolts AND a new thermostat for $198 SHIPPED!
I too was skeptical at taking this kind of job on at first, but it was easier than I thought, it turned out well and offered a great sense of accomplishment. Give it a shot! JF

Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFIII
I just finished doing my head gaskets on my '04 with SAI. It was not that bad of a job even with the SAI. All totaled, it probably took me about 8 hours to take it apart and 7 to put it back together. The key to the whole job is having the necessary tools, bagging and labeling all the bolts as soon as you take them off and having a nice table to place everything on. The RAVE is a great tool as well, but takes time to get it in the order that you will use it.
I cannot recommend Will Tillery enough for his prices and speed of shipping. He sold me the complete gasket kit, new head bolts AND a new thermostat for $198 SHIPPED!
I too was skeptical at taking this kind of job on at first, but it was easier than I thought, it turned out well and offered a great sense of accomplishment. Give it a shot! JF
I totally agree. Worst you can do is have to take it somewhere in pieces. Besides, if you take your time over the next month (which it will be sitting in your garage anyway) you can save some money and also learn a lot about your Rover. It really isnt that bad of a job if you take your time and label everything.