Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a bit of help, believe I need a new starter.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need a bit of help, believe I need a new starter.

Thanks to some help from a local Rover Friend, this issue has been resolved!

Hey all, I have a bit of issue! My D2 is currently sitting in a parking lot about a mile from my house because it refuses to turn over. So here is the situation: I had no issues all day with the vehicle, got home, decided to wash it, and while cleaning the inside I had the radio on and my phone plugged into it. I then had to move it, and it seemed that I had drained the battery because it would not turn over. No issue, I had my wife put the other car next to it, we jumped the car after about 10 minutes of charging and it ran just fine. So I decided to keep the car running and go drive around for a bit, I drove around for about 15 minutes and thinking that was enough I stopped at a mini-mart to pick up some snacks. I came back out, tried to turn it over to no avail. I called my wife to come to jump me, but even after 15 minutes charging it would not turn over despite the voltage on the UG reading between 12.4 and 13.1, with no clicking or belt movement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: Turns out one of the grounds has some salty build up on it from chilling at the beach near the water and just needed a good brushing off with a steel toothbrush, and one of my friends was nice enough to show up with one and an extra starter just in case. You gotta love your Rover Friends who know your pain and stock up on spare parts and are willing to trade them with you on a moments notice. Anyways, once the deposit was brushed off it started up and ran like a champ!

Thanks to some help from a local Rover Friend, this issue has been resolved!

Last edited by ScreamingLife; 04-21-2013 at 06:28 AM. Reason: problem solved
Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Hooray. What was the location of the ground?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Hooray. What was the location of the ground?
Sorry for taking a while to respond. We still aren't 100 percent sure, but we think it was closer to the starter motor. Perhaps when I washed it earlier in the day the more conductive stuff may have washed down and then dried on the ground closer to the starter motor itself and caused the issue.

We are going to continue to look around, but it has started up just fine since then. I've been driving my other vehicle mostly since then.