Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to fix here - Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What do I need to fix here - Gasket?

What do I need to get to fix this?

Looks like there is some oil leaking over here?

Looks a bit messy... Gaskets?

Old 02-15-2019, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Valve cover gaskets, FV308 PCV

Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I would start with the PCV and tightening the bolts, clean the existing oil off, see if it comes back. if it does you can do gaskets then.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (02-16-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 11:31 PM
Mudding

Thanks for that input. So when you say start with the PCV, do you imply just changing out the PCV valve? If so, where do I purchase this?

As far as tightening the bolts, I saw that mentioned in greater detail here, but they were saying to change the bolts out to different wones and use lock washers, while someone else said to use loctite glue on the bolts. Is this recommended?: https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/tightening-valve-cover-gaskets-92962/page2

Also, can I use anything to clean the oil off? Is there any cleaner I should avoid?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:02 AM
Camel Trophy

do search on the do a search on the four of us for PC V mod and you want to do the one that uses the 308 part number, screws into the intake manifold where the existing to connection goes. They're lots of pics in the thread when you find it. Loctite is good to use on the bolts, I wouldn't worry about changing them to different bolts. A lot of people change them to a different style bolt just because they don't have a 12 point socket but existing bolts are fine otherwise. as far as the cleaners Castrol super clean does a pretty good job, might take a couple of applications to get it all off, rinse it off with us high pressure jet of water from standard water hose. If it's really stubborn and you really want to get aggressive you can use oven cleaner but if you leave it on too long at tennis to discolor the metal

Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Be sure when you remove the fitting from the passenger side valve cover that you use big pliers and wiggle it side to side and then pull it out, but do not squeeze so hard that you collapse it. I drilled mine out with a 5/16 bit and all the innards came out well. The FV308 can be found or ordered at any parts store. Its made by Fram. The instructions are in a "sticky" above, and this mod genuinely helps the leaks.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Mudding

SO on the end with the valve cover, all I have to do is disconnect the hose, remove the "baffle" (I assume that is the "Oil separator"?) which is inside the hose? -- and then reconnect it to the valve cover?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:10 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Alexander George
SO on the end with the valve cover, all I have to do is disconnect the hose, remove the "baffle" (I assume that is the "Oil separator"?) which is inside the hose? -- and then reconnect it to the valve cover?
You remove the hose, then the metal tube that is snug in the valve cover using pliers. Baffle is inside the tube. Drill the baffle out. Make sure to not crush the tube. Push the tube back in the valve cover, Put the hose back on the tube. Put the FV308 at the other end in place of the barb fitting.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:52 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Extinct
You remove the hose, then the metal tube that is snug in the valve cover using pliers. Baffle is inside the tube. Drill the baffle out. Make sure to not crush the tube. Push the tube back in the valve cover, Put the hose back on the tube. Put the FV308 at the other end in place of the barb fitting.
From what I read, on the 2001, it is a little easier, and I may not have to drill?

Also, any recommended seal on the 308? How tight should you go?

Old 02-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Silicone the threads on the 308. As far as getting the baffle out of the tube, what happens is the carbon build up essentially glues the plastic baffle in to the tube. You can loosen it up usually with carbuetor cleaner which dissolves the carbon and get it out intact, but not worth the effort, just run a drill througgh it and be done. If you don't have a drill you can do the carb cleaner thing. Might take a couple of days.

Quick Reply: What do I need to fix here - Gasket?