Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tightening valve cover gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 03:13 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Really curious to see what others think about this.... could this be done to solve my problem here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/what-do-i-need-fix-here-gasket-93496/#post680596

???

Old 02-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Yep I’ve used blue loctite.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:18 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the right socket and some blue loctite on the way. What's the recommended torque on the valve cover bolts? Do you recommend unscrewing them completely, or just enough to get some loctite under the head?

Old 02-19-2019, 07:43 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander George
I have the right socket and some blue loctite on the way. What's the recommended torque on the valve cover bolts? Do you recommend unscrewing them completely, or just enough to get some loctite under the head?
Loctite goes on threads not the head

Old 02-19-2019, 10:55 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander George
IMHO, if you are going this far just replace the valve cover gaskets with a quality set from FEL-PRO and be done!
Rockauto has decent prices on these.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Pull the outer screws, put the loctite on the threads, tighten until snug. If it does not stop leaking, then you can do the gaskets. I've got a fiver that if you do the FV308 and tighten the screws the leaks will go by by.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Valve cover leaks

Originally Posted by Extinct
Loctite or silicone on the threads is better than lockwashers imho.
Loctite is good; I use it a lot. However, for some applications, old fashioned split lockwashers are good too, and usually much easier to get on/off. Using allen head bolts, with old fashioned split lock washers; same threads and length as original valve cover bolts worked wonderfully for me, in making my original valve cover gaskets seal agai. The thing is still not leaking, after my adding the allen head bolts and lock washers, so explain to me again why loctite is better, when leaking has long ago stopped? Loctite, I am sure, would have worked too, but probably would be harder to get bolts out later. Loctite doesn't work well at all, when oils are on the surfaces too, while the lock washers will.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyrover
Loctite is good; I use it a lot. However, for some applications, old fashioned split lockwashers are good too, and usually much easier to get on/off. Using allen head bolts, with old fashioned split lock washers; same threads and length as original valve cover bolts worked wonderfully for me, in making my original valve cover gaskets seal agai. The thing is still not leaking, after my adding the allen head bolts and lock washers, so explain to me again why loctite is better, when leaking has long ago stopped? Loctite, I am sure, would have worked too, but probably would be harder to get bolts out later. Loctite doesn't work well at all, when oils are on the surfaces too, while the lock washers will.
Lockwashers are notoriously prone to loosening in vibration environment, like a running engine. Loctite and/or silicone fills the interstitial spaces between the threads and dampens the vibrations in addition to acting as an adhesive between the mating threads. I used to race off-road motorcycles at a relatively high level, one of the worst environments imaginable for vibration loosening fasteners as the ring-ding two stroke engines tended to loosen everything. I found silicone to be just as effective as blue loctite in eliminating loose fasteners. I have never had a fastener where silicone has been used come loose. Silicone is also 1/10th the cost of blue loctite.

Just sharing my experience fwiw....

Old 02-20-2019, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Yep ”blue” Loctite has never failed me & you only need like maybe 5mm of the threads to be coated. Blue Loctite coated hardware is easy to remove. It’s the Red & Green Loctite that will be a PITA later on to remove.

Old 11-19-2022, 05:42 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Extinct
Pull the outer screws, put the loctite on the threads, tighten until snug. If it does not stop leaking, then you can do the gaskets. I've got a fiver that if you do the FV308 and tighten the screws the leaks will go by by.
I know they have different sizes for the bolts. What sizes go where for the 12 point bolts for the passenger side?

Quick Reply: Tightening valve cover gaskets