Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for when buying Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:09 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying Disco II

Hi, Im new here and have a few questions. I amabout tobuy a 01 Disco II SE7. What should I be looking for as far as issues. I have been told to check service records, but if the service was done at home or by a shop other than a dealer that wouldn't tell me much. Any info is appreciated on whatproblem areas to look out for.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What to look for when buying Disco II

Brakes, the ABS/ TC/ HD always come on.
That is a big thing on Disco II's.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Here's a quick list, but not all-inclusive. Don't be afraid to get on the ground and crawl around a little.
- coolant and oil leaks. Check gaskets before and after running. Pull the dipstick and look for clean oil. Run the truck and check temp gauges, look at hoses and radiator for leaks. These trucks like to leak.
-check all electronics, TRY EVERYTHING. People often complain of getting the truck home and things not working. TRY EVERYTHING, windows, lights, AC, seats, headlight washers...you get the idea
-Check u-joints and differentials for leaking /damage and listen while driving for any clunking or extreme gear whining. A little bit is normal.
- Put the truck in low gear and make sure linkage is working properly. Sticking linkages are apparently common due to people never locking the diffs or putting into low gear
- How many miles? If not serviced at 60k or you don't have records, better to do this service. Costs about 1k at the dealer, 1/2 that if you do it according to Disco Mike's recommendations and a day in the driveway.

These are basics, people on here can fill in and answer questions as you have them.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:25 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the help guys. I know these type of questions probably get asked every other day. I drove one the other day that did have a clunk. My wife was driving and she hit the brakes and then the gas a little sudden and it sounded like a u-joint. Also what is the HD. Are those the 3 amigos I have seen talked about on here?

Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Rock Crawling

The three amigos are the HD- hill descent, TC-traction contral and ABS lights coming on simultaneously. Very common problem, and can be a wide variety of issues ranging from a misaligned wheel sensor or brake vibration ( 0$) up to a failing ABS module / shuttle valve which costs upwards of $1200 - 1500.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Mudding

I just currently bought a 02' used disco yesterday. It had a few very minor problems like stuff that wouldnt close in the interior etc.. but no major problems. I was on my way home from the dealership and it started raining so i turned the wipers on. the rear window wiper was already on when i turned the front ones on. I looked back and my rear wiper had broken off. Then i get home and i cant get fuel door opened. But i got a 2year/24k mile warranty so all this is covered. but good luck with yours and make sure to get a warranty.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:30 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the help guys. I bought a 01 se. We were wanting a se7, but couldn't find one that was up to par. They all had some interior or exterior damage or warning lights. A few had what sounded like popping cv joints. Just got the impression that they were not taken care of. Anyways, back to the one that I bought. It is black with gray interior. 78k miles with all services up to date until 66k. I am going to do some more checking and see if these services were done and just not reported to carfax. If not then what would be required to get the maintenance up to date. Thanks.