Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for when buying a Land Rover Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by paullatin
Thank you. The button I am pressing is looks like a highway
button. Which I thought engaged my 4 x 4 transfer case. Or are the 95
D1's constant 4x4?

Thanks for your help and info. I am interested in
a lift kit but don't know which option.

that is the cruise control button

Old 02-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
that is the cruise control button
And it doesn't work very well off road!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by paullatin
Thank you. The button I am pressing is looks like a highway
button. Which I thought engaged my 4 x 4 transfer case. Or are the 95
D1's constant 4x4?

Thanks for your help and info. I am interested in
a lift kit but don't know which option.
A true 4x4 is not controlled by a button.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ummm, I kinda bought the first one I looked at. Knock wood, all is good!!*

truth be told, I had that feeling when I test drove her...*

test drove it around the block. Bought it. took trains 3.5 hours away to pick her up, drove her from Centereach, Long Island, back to Little Falls, NJ.*

*Results not typical, Previous outcomes do not guarantee future success.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

can someone explain the SLS suspension issue, and the oil pump issue? im looking at this tomorrow, maybe trading in my 02 Liberty for it if everything goes well. also, how to check for the head gasket issue. obviously for foam in the oil dipstick correct? and smell the exhaust?

and, about the oil pump issue, i hear about a lot of people with that problem, oil pump goes, experience rod knock, and dealer wont replace the motor. would it be possible to just replace the oil pump if i get it for peace of mind, or would the damage have been done already?

i just want to know what to look out for, let me know what you guys think and your opinions and what i should look out for. it looks really nicely maintained and clean, one owner.

thank you!!

http://www.premiertoyota.com/used/La...6d9fd2d635.htm

Last edited by RAYMAN975; 02-28-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've searched and searched, is there a thread on how to do a DIY front driveshaft rebuild?

I have all of the necessary parts.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RAYMAN975
can someone explain the SLS suspension issue, and the oil pump issue? im looking at this tomorrow, maybe trading in my 02 Liberty for it if everything goes well. also, how to check for the head gasket issue. obviously for foam in the oil dipstick correct? and smell the exhaust?

and, about the oil pump issue, i hear about a lot of people with that problem, oil pump goes, experience rod knock, and dealer wont replace the motor. would it be possible to just replace the oil pump if i get it for peace of mind, or would the damage have been done already?

i just want to know what to look out for, let me know what you guys think and your opinions and what i should look out for. it looks really nicely maintained and clean, one owner.

thank you!!

http://www.premiertoyota.com/used/La...6d9fd2d635.htm

The SLS, self leveling suspension, is a pair of "air bags" instead of coil springs on the rear axle.
There is a air compressor under the passenger floor that fills the SLS with air to keep the truck level, like when your mother in-law climbs in and the bottom drags, no more with the SLS.
But when it gets old it will leak, the bags wear out, the lines crack/break and the compressor will go bad.
It can be removed and coil springs put in its place, the ride wont be as smooth but it will last forever.

As for the oil pump, alot of guys are installing oil pressure gauges and then they just keep a eye on it.
If the oil pressure gets to low you shut off the engine, get it towed and then replace the oil pump.
Yes you can just replace the oil pump as a prevenative measure.
With 70k on the truck odds are it has already been replaced or it is not one of the bad ones.

As for the head gaskets, no way to check and see if they have been done or not, odds are no, they have not and they will need to be done.
They usually go bad in the 80-90k range.

Any more questions?
Do not buy the first one you look at.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by njb8199
I've searched and searched, is there a thread on how to do a DIY front driveshaft rebuild?

I have all of the necessary parts.
No there is not.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

Great thread appreciate the info. I am looking at a 2003 SE with 101k miles. The Vin number is in the bad range on the oil pump. What does this mean? I really like this car but I am terrified with all of the horror stories. I do not have a ton of money to put in repairs down the road. Any input would be appreciated. Not sure whether to pull the trigger or not.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by RAYMAN975
also, how to check for the head gasket issue.
Well, I don't know if I'm too late, but I thought I'd throw in my experience. I just sold my 2003 Liberty to buy my Disco. I test drove 6 DIIs & 5 of them had bad head gaskets. Here's some things that gave it away...

Before you start the engine:

Take off the oil cap & look at it. is there any moisture on it? While you have that off, put your nose up to the filler tube & take a whiff, does it smell like coolant or exhaust? Check the dipstick, does it look creamy or like chocolate milk? It shouldn't! Look at the head gasket, is there signs of oil leaks along the bottom of the cylinder head? Look for evidence of coolant leaks. if you find some look for the source, if it's not coming from a hose, then it may be coming from the bad head gasket. Look at the coolant reservoir, is it empty? It may just be low, but it may be low because the owner can't keep it full as the coolant leaks from the head gasket. Leave the coolant cap off & start the engine.

After you start the engine:

Pay constant attention to how the engine runs. If it sounds like it's mis-firing, that's a good (bad) sign that the HG is blown. after the engine warms up a little, go back to the coolant tank & look in the filler hole. There is a small return hose that empties into the tank at the neck of the tank. Grab the accelerator bowden cable & rev the engine slightly & hold it steady. Coolant should start streaming out of that hose inlet, watch the stream for interruptions. This hose is how the cooling system bleeds air from the system. If the stream is constantly interrupted, that may be exhaust entering the system through the HG. Put the cap back on. Walk around, the vehicle looking and SMELLING for active coolant leaks, that weren't there with the engine running. When you get to the exhaust pipe, look for evidence of coolant blowing out the pipe. Some moisture is normal, but it shouldn't be slick, or smell like coolant. place your hand a few inches away from the pipe & let the exhaust blow on it a bit, You are looking for coolant or chunks of debris blowing out the tail pipe. finish walking around to the hood constantly looking & smelling for coolant. when you get to the engine bay, smell for exhaust too, & check the block for leaks again & close the hood. If you are satisfied, go drive it.

On the drive:

Again, pay close attention for any kind of misfiring at every stage of the test drive! Take it to a freeway ramp & floor it. How does it accelerate? These aren't race cars, but it should pick up reasonably well, if it doesn't it's a problem. once at cruising speed, pass someone by speeding up. Does it want to go faster, or is it not cooperating? Turn on the heat to a high temp, it should get warm if it doesn't then thats a sign that there is more air in the system, possibly from a bad HG.

After you get back:

Leave the Disco running, & do the engine running walk around again, BUT DO NOT TOUCH THE COOLANT CAP!!! You are looking & smelling at & for the same things as before.

If you get through this & you still aren't sure, take it to a mechanic & have it inspected. $100 now could save you thousands later!

After all this, I bought a 1998 DI. I pick it up on Friday... I can't wait!

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a Land Rover Discovery