Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for when buying a Land Rover Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Tunahawk
Great thread appreciate the info. I am looking at a 2003 SE with 101k miles. The Vin number is in the bad range on the oil pump. What does this mean? I really like this car but I am terrified with all of the horror stories. I do not have a ton of money to put in repairs down the road. Any input would be appreciated. Not sure whether to pull the trigger or not.
These trucks are VERY expensive to maintain if you have the work done, if you do most of the work yourself you can Disco on a tight budget.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:04 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grussell
When the u-joints fail from lack of lube the driveshaft will drop at 60 mph and shred your transmission before you can blink.
Hey there! This is all amazing information for someone in the process of buying a Discovery II 2004. Are there any guides on here on how to check if my u-joints are already the greasable ones or how to change them our selves?

I am buying my DII 2004 this week and would like to get all this fixed and done before it has a chance to fail.

Thanks again!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Rock Crawling

If your propshafts have zerk fittings sticking out of the cross joints, they're greasable.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:03 PM
2nd Gear
Default In the market for 00-03 Discovery <$7k <100k miles

I am currently looking for a Discovery in the 2000-2002 range with fewer than 100k miles and for less than $7k. I am seeing a lot of vehicles that meet my criteria but I have learned from my BMW M5 ownership experience that the boards are the best place to go for the real story.

Besides a clean carfax report, and proper servicing of the driveshaft and coolant, what services should have taken place on a vehicle with that mileage? What specific questions should I ask a seller?

*Anyone know of a reputable board member who has something matching my criteria??? CASH.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

See the major service sticky on the front page. Records or not, do this when you first get it. Get 8MM plug wires.

The 99 to mid-01 have a lockable transfer case that you just have to add linkage to.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear

What is the cause of the 3 lights being on simultaneously? My guess would be something ECU related. Is there an easy fix, or is it an expensive fix? Also, lets say I picked one of these things up and the HG did go bad, how hard are they to replace? and how much are the parts generally? Also, are there related issues such as a warped head after the gasket lets go?

Also, are there any DTC's related to a blown head gasket, or any DTC's that I should specifically look for when looking at one of these? Should I worry about checking compression or checking oil pressure, fuel pressure, transmission line pressures in an Auto etc...
thanks,
Sean

Last edited by sstockton; 05-09-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The 3 amigo's is brake related, could be caused by anything from excessive brake dust to a bad hub to a computer problem.

Its not if the head gaskets go bad, its when.
~$500 DIY, start Fri and finish late Sun. (assuming you have rented/bought all the tools and have all the parts needed.

With a ALL aluminum engine if it is severely overheated you will be buying a new engine.

Random misfire codes are a good indication of a blown headgasket.
But a bad tuneup will also throw those codes.
The need fort a tune up will also throw O2 codes.

Just stay away from the '03's.
Check it out just like any other used car you were going to buy.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What to look for when buying a Land Rover Discovery

CHECK OIL PRESSURE

I’m a careful kind of guy who looks before he leaps.
After 6 months of research including reading this forum, I educated my self.
My choice was a 98 DI with good records and lots of new parts/tires/ etc. at a reasonable price. (I passed up a very good deal on another Disco with unknown history for this car with a proven condition report and history).

For $200, I was able to get a full inspection, but the mechanic asked me what I wanted checked. (My first mistake).
The inspection showed that I had a leaking power steering hose and the drive shaft U joints had a little play. All the other work had been done. I found a great car.

However, I did not ask to have the oil pressure checked (very cheap to do), and I did not have the oil filter removed and opened to look for crud. This is now the problem that I have. It could be cheap to fix or it may mean finding a replacement engine. These V8 aluminum engines have a problem with curding up if the oil has not been changed on schedule and/or a low grade gas was used.

We get smarter with experience.

Hope you have better luck with the Rover Gods.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:20 PM
7th Gear
Default advice

Hey guys,

I'm glad I found this forum, I have learned a ton of valuable information, thanks!

I've been in the market for a DII for about 6 months now, and have yet to find what I want: A 2004 discover SE7, white exterior, tan interior with the black piping with less than 80k miles for 12 grand. I'm beginning to become very impatient because I just can find one that meets the criteria. I find plenty of decent 03s but no SE7 04s. Here's what I'm currently looking at:

1. 2004 DiscoII HSE, black ext. w/tan leather, 56k mi. price: $15,995

2. 2003 DiscoII HSE7, black ext. w/tan leather, 85k mi. price: $10,999
***this 03 is not in oil pump failure range

3. 2004 DiscoII HSE, silver ext. w/tan leather, 61k mi. price: $12,500

Assming they were all in the same mechanical/cosmetic condition, what would you guys do? Are the HSE much nicer than the SE? Please help because I need a new vehicle asap.

Thanks a million!
-Akash

Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three amigos (will these be on during driving?), front driveshaft, and head gaskets are the main bad guys, correct? I'm somewhat scared after reading this overload of info, thanks Spike and other Rover masterminds.

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a Land Rover Discovery