Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this unattached loose part found under the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Anti-defigilation transducer receptacle.

Have you had the truck worked on anywhere since you last looked at the area you found it? If so, you might want to run it by them, as they might be missing it for another vehicle they had been working on.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default May be the CVS filter box

Looks like it could be the filter box from the canister vent solenoid (CVS) unit that's attached to the cruise control bracket. I've never had one apart, but it looks like the correct attachment. The solenoid itself has two wires running to it, along with a 3/4 inch or so O.D. pipe that comes up from under the vehicle, right along the frame rail. The pipe attaches to the valve with a short rubber tube. I don't think it has any purpose other than filtering the charcoal canister exhaust.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Talking

Have you had any issues lately with national security. Could it be a black box that is part of the patriot act? Phil

Old 11-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put that back Immediately, You've probably already noticed people driving erratically behind you and think they are crazy. That my friend is the polarity transponder for your blinker fluid - it keeps the blinkers polarized (if I remember right, the left side is positive and the right negative) without it in place the blinkers don't know how to work correctly and usually end up working backwards just trying to modulate themselves. Hence people behind not know where your turning!

All kidding aside Disco Mike and a few others here are real helpful, or just keep it in the vehicle and the next time you happen by a dealership ask them what it is, but, don't let them replace it (if its a real piece) for $42,000.00 bucks. Come back here with info - cuz we'd all really like to know if its real or just a piece of kicked up road debris.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like it holds quarters and dimes. open it up and take pictures of the internal works

Old 11-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hmmm, more pics to help with context...

Thanks everyone for all the chuckles... I really got a kick out of all the responses...

However, I think Rick's (rtonder) response that my mystery box could be "the filter box from the canister vent solenoid (CVS) unit that's attached to the cruise control bracket".. is the best answer so far. The only content (that I could see) of the mystery black box was a "sponge" filter.

My Disco's cruise control hasn't worked since I've had it. I haven't even bothered trying to figure out why the cruise control doesn't work because I haven't missed using it and because, frankly, I've got more important priorities to chase down and fix (like why my #6 cylinder misfiring but that's another story).

Anyway, inspired by Rick's demonstration of expertise in the field of cruise control anatomy and physiology, I referred to the Rave workshop manual, took another look under my hood, and took some more pictures.

See attached pics.

In the pic named "found", the mystery black box is where I found it.

In the pic named "um stuffs missing or something", you see the cruise control pneumatic actuator (missing it's vacuum hose) and a two cable connectors not connected to anything and a large void where something should be but isn't.

So it would appear that the mystery black box is part of something that should be in this picture but isn't. Possibly the vacuum pump assembly?

I'd be grateful for any guidance or confirmation about what is missing from the pic and what I need to get to replace the missing parts for the cruise control etc.

Thanks...
What is this unattached loose part found under the hood?-found.jpg

What is this unattached loose part found under the hood?-um-stuffs-missing-something.jpg

What is this unattached loose part found under the hood?-other-angle-1.jpg

What is this unattached loose part found under the hood?-other-angle-2.jpg

What is this unattached loose part found under the hood?-other-angle-3.jpg

Last edited by twaszak; 11-02-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

In your second picture "stuffs missing", the piece you found attaches to the side of the vent valve (the thing with the electrical connector and hose) opposite where the hose connects. The found piece is the CVS unit.

I was checking my fluids tonight, and remembered your post, so I looked to see if I saw anything similar on my vehicle, and I did. In the RAVE manual, a good picture is in section 17-2-46 (Emission control-V8, Repairs, Solenoid-evap cannister vent solenoid (CVS) valve).

I apologise for adding to the peanut gallery comments earlier, instead of taking the time to simply check under my hood, but I was trying to get caught up on a weeks worth of threads after a week on vacation with no LRF access

Edit: Crimeny. I didn't see Ricks post before putting this up.

#2 Edit: To make up for the observation of the mystery part, which had already been identified by Rick... the 4 pin electrical plug that isn't attached to anything in your picture should be attached to the cruise control vacuum pump assembly (which appears to be missing from your pictures)

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 11-02-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mystery Box ID'd and Reinstalled - Here's before and after pics for those curious

Thanks very much for the assist etc...

I found that my "Solenoid - evap canister vent solenoid (CVS) valve" was loosely attached to the cruise control bracket. No doubt this is why the mystery box fell off.

I reinstalled/reattached the mystery box and secured it to the CVS with a zip tie. I then used a zip tie to secure the CVS to the cruise control bracket. Everything is now tight and snug with no rattle.

I've uploaded three new pics for those wanting help visualizing everything etc. "Before" pic - CVS minus the mystery black box. "After" pic - CVS with mystery black box attached. "Secure" pic - CVS etc tied down with zip ties.

Again thanks very much for the insight and also for the laughs.

Cheers,

Thomas
What is this unattached loose part found under the hood?-before.jpg

What is this unattached loose part found under the hood?-after.jpg

What is this unattached loose part found under the hood?-secured.jpg