Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Vibration?

Old 01-03-2005, 11:43 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Vibration?

Hello all, I am a bit confused about my 1999 Discovery I because I just put $1800.00 of service into it to resolve a vibration issue which seems to increase as power is added to the throttle. When in netural, no vibration, when removing throttle while driving, no vibration, but as throttle increases with speed, vibration increases.

My local shop (4X4 Center), just charged me $1800.00 to replace a leaky front ball and joint, and repack all wheel bearings, stating this was the issue. Yet when I test drove it, the vibration was still present. They told me it was the lifters, not giving enough power to the vehicle, and that was most likely the issue. I asked if they checked the U-Joints, and they said they were fine, but the rear of the front driveshaft had some movement.

When I got home, I jacked up the car to remove the driveshaft and found a very damaged U-Joint with at least 1/4 inch of play, so my questions are...

1) Would this cause the vibration I mentioned?

2) Why could'nt my local service center find this? Yet they charged for $1800.00 to fix other items?

Frustrated Owner!

Old 01-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Drifting
Default RE: What Vibration?

If they've charged you money to solve a problem which they haven't managed to solve then it's their problem not yours. I'd be straight back down the garage demanding that the problem be rectified immediately, and you could possibly argue for the old parts which were not causing the problem afterall to be refitted and a refund for those given.

In either case it's definately up to the garage to sort the problem for you. They were confident enough that the vehicle was fixed to take your money off you weren't they? If they said it was fixed and it turns out it isn't, well then they'd best get it sorted ASAP hadn't they.

Brian

Old 01-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: What Vibration?

Yes the UJ could cause the vibration as the propshaft would be out of balance when turning.

As Brian says, if you asked the garage to solve the problem and they didn't, then it should be their problem to sort it not yours, or for you to get your money back, at least for the labour.. if not the parts.