Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do??

First of all, this is great forum.
I have been reading threads in the last 2 days and found a lot of useful information.
So bottom line is: Discoveries are for guys who love to get their hands dirty and service the truck themselves???
I don’t mind doing some of the maintenance myself, my engineering (not mechanical) background might help, but I do live in NYC and have no access to a garage, so I will be doing most of this maintenance in some side street.

Ok here is my dilemma….
1) What truck to buy??? 04 LR Discovery , 02 4runner, 04-05 Xterra (my budget is around10K)
I am planning a few months long trip to Europe next year, mostly in the Balkan Peninsula maybe in Western Europe also. I am thinking to get the car ahead of the trip so I can gain enough trust in it and not worry about getting stuck in Balkan Mountains. So I need it to be in top shape for at least 6 months, no including oil changes and “do it yourself” maintenance.
I have wanted an LR Discovery for years now but always settled for other cars (2 explorers and currently the maxima) because I kept being told how “unreliable” and how expensive to fix they are. As painful as it has been, I have crossed it off the list (4 times) but it keeps coming back. I love the looks and the interior of this car, and it also offers the option of 3rd row seats that I know I will need. I was about to settle for the 4runner and add an after market 3rd row seat but found this forum and the DISCOVERY came back on the top of the list.
2) Dealer Auction???
two years ago I got my 03, 6 speed, fully loaded, Maxima at a Dealer Auction, saved about 3k . Other then $150 serpentine belt, no problems with this car at all. I am a weekend driver, about 5K miles a years. Would Dealer Auction that be a wise choice for a 04 Disco? Probably not, but with the savings I can cover some of the fixing costs it might need, and know what has been fixed?
3) SE7 or HSE7? Which is the most reliable? I don’t really care for the navigation, or the DVD player.
4) If I find an SE instead what do you guys think about buying a used 3rd row seat and installing it? Can it be easily done?
5) How water proof are these trucks? I have seen pictures of Discoveries with snorkels crossing rivers and pulling boats into shore. Any addition "waterprofing" required. Can I wash the engine at least or is that a “NO NO”?

I have read the other posts asking for help in deciding what car to get, but I would really appreciate your opinion on this.

What would you do??

Old 04-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Mudding

well 04 is the best no specific package the only difference is the interior if you get it a couple of months before ur trip then u can check all the common things that go wrong with them and do some prev maint which are in write ups in the forum.It will go places that the other vehicles u listed will not without heavy modification and they are pretty good as far as sinking them in water just dont go above the hood without a snorkel.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Get the '04 Disco, especially if you are taking it to Europe, there will be parts and people to work on or help you work on it everywhere.

If you are not taking the truck with you then get the Xterra.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

where are you located? get the 04 and i can help you prep your truck for the trip. check out our club site in my sig. I'm in westchester we have a member with an 04 G4 who lives on the UES.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Three Wheeling

Thank you all for the advice.
I will keep an eye for 2004 discovery.
Yes the plan is to take it with me.

hilltoppersx. Thank you. that will be a great help. I am actually in queens. Will be getting it sometime in may or June.

I am still a little weary about buying at an dealer auction bc I will have no chance to carefully look at it or test drive it, and it will also be almost impossible to know if there was any previous maintenance done. But as I said maybe I could use the savings to offset any repair cost.

2 years ago I did test drive a 2002 (I think) Disco. Frankly did not like it at all. Seemed like to many things were squeaking and rattling. I blamed it on that truck and not the model. Is that normal? I was driving a 97 4x4 Explorer 2D Sport before that and the explorer seemed to be more solid.

I know the maxima will be missed, really enjoy how that car drives and handles. it will be hard to get used to an automatic after driving the maxima.

To bad they don’t make manual 2004 Discos.....

Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Mudding

The disco is going to be the worst driving of them all period. It drives and has the feel of driving a jeep wrangler or a old truck. None of the discoveries have a car like feel. The Toyota and the others you listed most likely do have that car like handling and feel. Just think of the disco as a European jeep. It's a heavy, metal body on a full truck frame, full time 4wd, solid axles and none of that IFS crap. In my opinion if you wouldn't like driving a jeep wrangler you wouldn't like driving a disco. My opinion... Go with the disco! The others will be more reliable on the street prolly but the disco will take you any where and look good doing it. Plus if you're in Europe parts for the disco will be readily available.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Three Wheeling

i have not driven a wrangler nor been in one. even thou i think they are cool trucks. but too small for for my needs.
i doubt i will be doing any serious off roading with it. definately not rock crawling.
most of the time i will be driving in paved secondary roads from one city to another, but up a hill or a mountain,
considerate amount of rural roads made by horse and carrage or logging roads.
the worst i can think of might be going thru some very rough terrain like a prarie or up some bushy hill and over occasional ditches or creeks.

i know i will not be going where no truck has been before,

Old 04-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy one in europe (a right hand drive deisel defender) and bring it back. I'm sure they will be cheaper in europe, and cooler. Why pay to have it shipped twice.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Three Wheeling

would not have the time to shop and buy one in europe.
doubt i can get any defender with my budget. lol. one that works anyway.

besides Discoveries are cheaper in US. i know tough trucks are in demand there so i will try and sell it there. not looking to make any profit from it but wanna save the hassle of shipping it back, havent decided on this yet. depending how the trip goes.

Last edited by xhevi; 04-04-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A friend of mine in the FPLRG (Fort Pitt Land Rover Group) bought a terrific EX-Ministry of Defense (British Military) Rover that you not believe. Go to Our Website flprg.org and you can see the pictures he has posted and see his write-up in our forum.

He bought it from a small dealer in England that specializes in Rovers and will ship here on container ship. John has some interestring write-ups on his import experience.

I looked at the english dealers site, he had some great vehicles at really sweet prices. Even used Disco's as well as the Defenders and Ex-MOD. They are super heavy duty. You would be suprised. Buy it there , save the shipping over Big bucks.

Quick Reply: What would you do??