Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pics

Here's the pics of John's purchase. The site: www.landrover4u.co.uk

Enjoy

Attached Thumbnails What would you do??-xmod-2.jpg   What would you do??-xmod-1.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Here's the pics of John's purchase. The site: www.landrover4u.co.uk

Enjoy
i dont seem to find many vehicles on the link. only a 2007 Vauxhall
would be interesting to know about the experience he had importing it to US, like shipping and custom fees.
yeah it is a cool ride. but i am looking for a car i can drive in a city also. it will be my one and only vehicle for a while.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

As far as buying from a dealer auction, that's a double-edged sword. My brother owns a used car lot. He buys all his vehicles from the auctions. He hasn't gotten stung very many times. Most don't need anything at all, sometimes one might need brakes or some not-too-expensive part here or there. As you know you can look them over and start them up. You can tell a lot about the condition of a vehicle from subtle cues. Fotunately, L/R's have pretty robust transmissions and drivetrain, that minimizes the chances of inherent problems like you might find in a Dodge Minivan. One issues that does crop up is headgasket problems and you might not be able to detect that in an auction setting. For you not having a garage to work in, that would be tough to fix yourself. To have it done could be $1,500 - 2,000. Also, the 3-Amigos are a popular and expensive problem to repair. Really common on DII's. Read up on that in the sticky. But once you bite the bullit and replace the part, you're good to go.

Fortunately (for you), dealers know that L/R's are finicky and expensive to get repaired and shy away from them. Some who may specialize in imports may know the common problems and be more willing to take a chance on them, most will stay away like they are toxic waste. Also, the resale value is not good, meaning they won't generally be able to mark them up as much. In short, they are high-risk vehicles for a dealer. I would expect you could get a good deal on one at an auction. Problem is, the rigs in better condition will be more likely to attract a dealer's attention than the really beat up (expensive to fix) ones.

I would also encourage you to get on your Craig's List and see what's in your area for used L/R's. I would also encourage you to take a couple more for a drive. They are somewhat cramped for leg room and pseudo-wierd ergonomics too compared to an explorer. The other guys make a good point about repairs in Europe. You also see Explorers and 4Runners in Europe too. L/R would still be a better bet. Once you get the bugs worked out, should be fine. I have driven our '98 to the W. coats (from Chicago area) twice. Went on a bunch of Moab trails, mountain passes and the most remote places in Wyoming where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids hug out (because it's SO remote). Always traveled alone. No major problems or breakdowns.

What I would advise for your trip is: Get a copy of the Discovery PDF manual on your laptop (you're taking a laptop, arean't you?). Also, get a $120 automotive scanner so if electrical gremlins crop up you can assess the situation and see if it's one you can fix easily, or leave for later (like an O2 sensor). Take a reasonable tool kit, but not too much. If you run into any problems, between the Manual, your internet connection on N/G's and tools, you will be just fine.

I've been in that area and it's beautifu. You will have a blast!!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xhevi
i dont seem to find many vehicles on the link. only a 2007 Vauxhall
would be interesting to know about the experience he had importing it to US, like shipping and custom fees.
yeah it is a cool ride. but i am looking for a car i can drive in a city also. it will be my one and only vehicle for a while.

Their invetory varies, a few weeks ago they had six or 8 various rovers.

If you look at the forum on FPLRG and go back about 6 months or or so, John's name is Freelander, he used to drive one of those, then he bought a DII and also now has the EX-MOD. RH drive, but they go in the city as well. Harold has an EX-MOD Ambulance with the red crosses on the side.
Mark has an SI.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Mark, just as I thought.

Last time I was at the dealer auction my dealer friend was literally pulling me away from the L/R’s. Will be hard to convince him this time. I had a great experience with the maxima, no issues at all

I have been looking on Craig’s List here but is hard to find any 04's, mostly 00-03. There is a 04 SE with 140K for about 7G, but I am hoping to get one with 80K or less. Another one is in Boston, 04 SE7 with 55K for 14G. More then I can afford.

What do you think would be a good deal on 04 L/R?

I read elsewhere and also from what I see in the pics, that the back passenger door is too narrow. What’s your experience? Is it too high?

Wondering if it will be easy to get back there. I might have to install like a little step. Something with a spring that will retract up when not stepped on. Any ideas?

This weekend will have sometime to go check out a couple of LR, will also take the family with me. lol they will be the one sitting in back.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Xhevi,... please note that 04 with the 140K on it does have a $1200 bumper and a $1000 winch on it. It might be worth a look,.. especially if you could go and pay him $6k cash. to make it easier to get in and out you can get rock sliders that come out far enough to be able to be used to get into the vehicle. cost wil be around $500.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Three Wheeling

seems to be harder to find any 04, plenty of 03s though all acros US. i been checking CL on every state almost and not as many 04s

would you guys consider 03 instead of 04?

i saw a 03 SE7 with 68K for 9500.

i hear the 03 had a bad oil pump? how bad is that? anyone had to replace it? do you guys know of any other problems that the 03 is famous for compared to 04?
thanks all.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gotta check the VIN range.

03s are cheaper for a reason.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Three Wheeling

What vin range should i stay away from?
I run into a post before that had them not much luck finding it.
Thanks.
Was thinking to go check it out this weekend

Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok. Found them.
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums...l-alert-23098/
That sounds right?
I guess will be only looking for 04 and increase my budget

Quick Reply: What would you do??