Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best repair manual to get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best repair manual to get?

I just bought my first LR yesterday. I'm quite pleased with it, but of course it has a few quirks I'd like to fix.What is the best repair manual for a Gen1 98 Disco LE?

Old 09-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: What's the best repair manual to get?

What you need is the RAVE CD, do a search on this forum for it, it is a free download.
One of the guys has it in his signature. Otherwise you can buy it on e-bay for about $5.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Are you familiar with .iso files? If not post back and I'll detail instructions on loading it so you can use the RAVE.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Rock Crawling

I would like that disco2guy I down loaded but cant pull anything up?

Old 09-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Drifting

Oh yeah, very familiar with ISOs.MagicISOis a good progam to use to read them. Would you suggest RAVE over something like the Bentley manual or the hardbound Haynes. I really like having a physical book to use while I'm working on something, but if RAVE has everything, I guess I could just make my own binder. :-)

Old 09-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok. I use Alcohol 120% to mount .iso files but any app that can read them is fine. An .iso file (also known as an image file) is a special format that contains all of the individual files you want to burn on a cd "merged" into one file. It's kinda like a .zip file only it doesn't reduce the file size. Just like you use WinZip to read the contents of that file, Alcohol 120% reads the contents of the .iso format.

1. Once you install the app you should have a virtual drive in Windows Explorer, which you can assign a drive letter. I use V: (for virtual).
2. Next, you'll want to mount the .iso file to the virtual drive. This will allow you to browse the virtual drive as if you had the RAVE cd and see all the individual .pdf files.
3. There should be a folder called "Rave (Discovery II _ Freelander '01)". You can now copy that folder to your hard drive then burn it onto a cd.

To run RAVE simply click on RAVE.exe and click on the opening window screen. The app uses an a copy of Adobe Acrobat 4 (which comes with it) to open the .pdf files. If you try to use a newer version you will get an error because Acrobat 4 .pdf's are not supported in newer versions.

That's about it. If you have further questions let me know and I'll try to get you up and running.

If you want a printed workshop go I'd go with this one. It is basically the RAVE in printed for so if you switch between the RAVE cd and this workshop manual it's exactly the same.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Rock Crawling

WOWthanks