Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats that smell?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats that smell?

so it snowed here in charlotte nc not to long ago and some of my buds went out and played in it with our trucks. we all got really muddy and had a blast but ever since then it smells like im burning mud in the engine area/underside. i've driven a couple of times since then but the smell is still there. no i have not washed it since( i like the looks of it ) but how long should this last and is there anything that could be burning still and should i look for something bad ? any help would be great.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:52 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: whats that smell?

Hmm thats strange, there might have been mud on something that makes alot of friction, someone might know exactly what it is. I had my engine bay area really muddy at one time and I never smelled anything. I will tell you that it is ok to powerwash a Land Rover engine. Just dont hold it to close.

I am in Asheville NC and I bet we got the same storm! I wish we could get a few more "big" ones like that or bigger! After the past few years 3 inches is big in my book!

Old 01-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Maybe you have mud on your exhaust system.

Willie

Old 01-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Rock Crawling

^+1

It's just mud on the exhaust. It'll smell till it bakes all the nasty organic matter out. When it gets wet, It'll smell again till it dries. The cycle continues until everything is eventually baked out. I know what you mean about liking how it looks but just so you know, it will discolour the flares and paint. At the very least, I'd go to a carwash and blast out the undercarriage, drive-line and brakes. All the sand in the mud just acts like sand paper on all the important components.

When you finally do wash it, don't go through an automatic carwash or hit it with high pressure- it's pretty much like sandblasting your car and you'll have all kind of scratch/swirl marks. Get most of the grime off with a garden hose and with as little pressure as possible first.

Just my. 02

Old 01-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^+1+1. I love snow and hate (okay, hate to clean)mud (unless I have an old beater farm truck). It's best to power wash your truck immediatly after wheeling it. The longer it stays on there, the harder it gets and the harder it is to get off. The hotexhaust makes the mud stink bad.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You like the looks of it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why not wash it off and not be bothered by it.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I liked the looks of it, when I was 16.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:18 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh please, you know its fun to have a muddy rover every once and a while! But I do agree a few days is enough, you dont want paint fading, go find a place with an underwash to get the bottom clean, I bet you picked up some salt too if the roads are anything like they are here in Asheville after a snow. The salt will cause major rusting if you dont get it off.

Dont hold back from getting muddy!!!!!!!! Besides its fun to wash the rover! (when its warm)

Old 01-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: jkid

I liked the looks of it, when I was 16.
okay - and I still like the looks of it. But not for more than a day. Think about all of that mud and crap that gets stuck up in the undercarriage and can't get out easilly. If it stays up there, everytime it gets wet, it will stay wet for a long time and wet means rust. So yeah, give the underneath a good powerwashing with a flexible wand or a90 degree nozzle that lets youreach aroundeverything.

Also, mud all over the tranny and engine just insulates them more and makes them work even harder to cool themselves. If I'm not mistaken, a good amount of the fluid's heat transfer takes place at the pans.