Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's It Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

909wheeler, you have a PM.

Leaning towards selling it as-is. Thanks for all the input so far.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for your comments.

I've decided I just don't love this Land Rover enough to sink any more money into it and sell it as-is. I guess I'm a bit hurt that I gave her the best of everything the past three years I've owned it - all new synthetic fluids, regular maintenance, five brand new BFG A/T's a couple of thousand miles ago...even that new front drive shaft a few weeks ago (it doesn't even have 100 miles on it yet)....and then she leaves me stranded by the side of the road, confused and hurt, asking "...but why"?

I knew a Land Rover was capable of breaking your heart as well as your wallet - I just hoped she wouldn't do it to me.

But seriously, it's headed to the classifieds by the end of the week. If anyone here is interested, shoot me a PM and we'll work something out.

I don't want to start a bidding war, but I'd like to get something north of $2k out of it. There's that much value just between the new rubber, drive shaft, and new lights that aren't even wired yet.

Thanks again all.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Good luck with the sale, Ken. These trucks aren't for the feint of heart, for sure! When I finally decided to pull the trigger, I had told myself that at no point shall I ever require it to be running.

I've had to remind myself of this a few times now where it's sat, undrivable.

I don't take it out when I need to be at a destination. I won't take it out if I have to be anywhere at any certain time. I won't even take it out in the rain now.

It's funny, having a vehicle as unreliable as these, yet still enjoying it. It's like a dog that only sometimes wants to bite people.

Dave

Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can part it out and make a good chunk of change on the aftermarket parts. Those parts are HARD to find on craiglist man....least here in Charlotte NC

The BFGs are at least worth 600-700 bucks?

Once you sell off all the aftermarket and tires, then sell the base truck as is for 1500?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I would part it out. You can get far more than you would selling it outright. The bumper alone will easily net you $700
x2. The fact is that bolt on off-road parts don't add nearly as much value as what they cost. Part it out and you'll likely make back much of the $$$ that you have in it. Certainly a lot more than you'll get selling it whole...

The offers in the $1500 - $2000 ballpark are actually pretty fair if you're selling it whole. Without the off-road parts you would be looking at a $500-800 truck needing an engine. (I bought a very nice stock D2 SE7 with a blown headgasket (no sign of a slipped liner) last summer for $800. You don't have to look very to hard to find similar D2s...at least not east of the Mississippi.)

Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by sloan74
...Once you sell off all the aftermarket and tires, then sell the base truck as is for 1500?
$1500 for a D2 with a bad motor? Even if it's mint, the bad motor makes it a sub $1000 truck.

Does he still have the stock parts that he removed? I know I didn't save my old bumpers and plastic rocker covers when I replaced them with steel bumpers and sliders. Putting all that stuff back (even if he doesn't have to replace any of it) might well be more work than the $1500 is worth.

Do what you will. There's always someone out there willing to pay too much for one of these things, but don't assume you'll find that person...

Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I shopped around for 4 months! Paid $12K for mine...04, SE7, 65K mi, great shape & everything working, then dropped $6K on a new engine for piece of mind. Those who don't rely on their Disco's as DDs think I overpaid. Those who do, say that's about right. Those who drive something else (everything from Cayenne's & 4Runner's to Jetta's & Mini's) assume it's worth much more than I've got into it.

Do I have a point? It's worth what someone will pay, which is apparently all over the place. Best of luck!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
$1500 for a D2 with a bad motor? Even if it's mint, the bad motor makes it a sub $1000 truck.
Yup. See them on CL all the time in Charlotte needing HG work for 1500 give or take. Guess it's all relative on where you live.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Winching

Dan, You're absolutely right.

It's worth what someone will pay...or as people in the car business put it, "There's an @ss for every seat." and "There's a sucker born ever minute."

Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
"There's a sucker born ever minute."
Are you suggesting I'm one of them???

Quick Reply: What's It Worth?