Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's wrong with my RTE lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts
Default What's wrong with my RTE lift?

I installed new RTE springs last fall, and after installation, my ride height was even all around. Happy camper. Within 6 weeks (I'm late to posting this), the rears have sagged as much as 3" behind the rears.

Here are my measurements taken from wheel hub center to bottom of wheel arch:

23" Front L
22" Front R
20" Rear L
20" Rear R

I spoke to Simon @ RTE today and because I'm calling him a few months after the sag was noticed, he's unwilling to send me a new set of springs. We got into a lengthy discussion... he says never once have his springs ever sagged since he bought the company 4 years ago. I understand his point of view, but the fact is, the springs have sagged and despite pressing... he won't budge on sending new springs. He is offering to send me free rear spacers or new springs at cost.

Lift specs
RTE RR1-3 Rear 3? Springs
RTE RR4-3 Front 3? Springs
TF147 Rear Prosport All Terrain +2?
TF146 Front Prosport All Terrain +2?
D1 Rear Spring seats w/ isolators
Terrafirma castor corrected radius arms
Adjustable TF panhard
TF front shock towers

Weight specs
- Dual battery front right
- Synthetic winch
- Steel front bumper (terrafirma)
- Greg davis rear bumper
- Rock sliders
- 2nd row two seats deleted
- hi lift
- Various cargo and stuff totaling a couple hundred pounds (always loaded)

Old 03-22-2018, 03:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Unless you just have the rear obscenely overloaded (you don't. I've seen what you haul) then it sounds like the springs were improperly heat treated.

I'm surprised he's refusing to replace the springs. If I were in his position I'd want to send a new set out and get those back ASAP to see a.) What went wrong, and b.) To prevent posts like this.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Unless you just have the rear obscenely overloaded (you don't. I've seen what you haul) then it sounds like the springs were improperly heat treated.

I'm surprised he's refusing to replace the springs. If I were in his position I'd want to send a new set out and get those back ASAP to see a.) What went wrong, and b.) To prevent posts like this.
Yeah I was surprised too, it doesn't really matter than I called him 6 months later, they still shouldn't sag like that even in that time frame. He went into detail on how the springs are made all the same from the same set of metal, in batches, and he hasn't had a single complaint on them.

The rear is packed to the brim, but its mostly light camping stuff. The fridge and plastic cabinet is pretty heavy, about 80 pounds. And when the water is filled, its about 80 pounds. Gas tank is 75%+ most of the time. If I had to guess, I'm carrying an extra load of 300-400 pounds, then minus the seats.. ~250-350?

Shock wise, it's probably time for the new TF 4-way adjustable ones as they're cheap enough, for an extra inch, but I have no idea what to do about the springs. I don't think putting in 2+" spacers is a good idea.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:33 PM
7th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an RTE lift that was on mine when I bought it and the rear definitely sagged, I ended up just putting spacers in though to fix that (didn't contact them about it).

Then I had a front shock mount break, I contacted Simon about it, and he told me that it was the previous owners of RTE design and that they would not replace it. I ended up just buying another mount from him (that was much better made) at a slight discount (old price listed on his website, not the new price he told me everything was). I have had enough issues with my suspension, that I have been curious if some of it is them or just the previous owner and the way he set things up, etc.

After hearing that other people are having a hard time with them not standing behind their stuff is too bad, don't think I could recommend there stuff to people hearing that along with my experience.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Poor customer service IMHO. Sorry to hear about the springs sagging.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

I think RTE has been undergoing a business change. They don't accept PayPal anymore.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Poor customer service IMHO. Sorry to hear about the springs sagging.
Yeah it's a bummer. I did some forum searching, and I found a post that you have RTE springs from 7+ years ago, different part #. How are they holding up?

Originally Posted by charlesp461

After hearing that other people are having a hard time with them not standing behind their stuff is too bad, don't think I could recommend there stuff to people hearing that along with my experience.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I think RTE has been undergoing a business change. They don't accept PayPal anymore.
The business changed hands about 4 years ago

Any spring recommendations? I did some more napkin math, and I could easily be carrying +600 pounds, including all the steel. OME 2763 is the heaviest duty I can find, rated for 440 pounds @ 1.5" lift.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:41 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

I would be calling the Better Business Beura.
I would also post pics and details on their junk everywhere I could.
I belive in treating people fairly and standing behind you work and products, and if your business can't do that, then the world is gonna know about it.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Out of curiosity, how does the rig sit when it's completely unloaded (besides what you can't remove)? Just removing the rear seats takes a bunch of weight out (did that too), those things were beasts.

This whole thing just doesn't set well, glad you came forward with your findings.

Brian.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I’ve never had any RTE springs sag, but maybe I’ve been lucky.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with my RTE lift?