Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats your occupation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: whats your occupation?

AnnieMae is a girl, she is a Indiana Jones (arciologist)

No it does not pay to stop when you work for FedEx, time is money. My average is 20 stops per hour, I HATE stop lights, stop signs no problem, just roll right through.
FedEx has almost no hourly employees, we are all independant contractors, so we own the van. We pay for gas, maintence, repairs, etc.
If you want to know how long you can go on maintence just ask...we push it to the limits.
You maximize profits by reducing costs.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is awesome... What a company.

It would be a horrible disservice to both pen and soul to even ATTEMPT to put to words my disgust for the United States Postal Service.

When asked why I choose free enterprise over regulation, I point to the 400 pound blob jamming my cards into my mailbox and honking in my driveway for 15 minutes to avoid getting out of her... GMC Jimmy... and I point again to the FedEx delivery man who walked 1/4 mile down my snow-covered driveway to deliver a package to me- AND kneel down and kiss my Boxer pup on the nose.

God BLESS America.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya know i think people have forgot about overseas. I dont want to spark a politicle debate but there is so little coverage about our guys in the desert, its really not as bad as it was, but its still away from your family. 300,000 plus men and women in all the forces.... our ecomony sucks ***, but thank all above for what we have, including our LR service costs, that we have it so good...

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:51 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i believe in dog

Old 01-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Team Owner

I do carry dog treats in my van, they are from the dollar store...but the dog doesnt care.
I have had dogs jump into my van, tail wagging "lets go for a ride...can we, can we..."I love dogs.
My van has a puppy holding a package in its mouth on the side, it is the logo, one day a few years back in Holland a 5? year old boy was playing in his front yard, I was going to his neighbors house, the little boy asked me if his neigbors were getting a new puppy. (because of the puppy on the van, duh!)
It was so cute!!
I really do love this job. I hope to own my own route someday. Right now I work for a guy who owns 10 routes.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Winching

That sounds very cool, Phil.

You mod a 97 Defender into your delivery vehicle and you'll have people ordering things JUST to see you coming! I would at least...

Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well since i dont believe in god i believe in dog. see i just swap the letters around. and i have a dog so it all works out

Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Team Owner

During the last big snow storm we had I almost had to use my Disco to do my route, and this got me thinking..."Phils go anywhere delivery"
I think it would have to be in the U.P. (upper peninsula), but I do not know what demand there would be. A local delivery company that specilizes in getting things delivered to remote locations.

In northern lower MI and the UP FedEx uses 4x4 vans and pick up trucks with locking toppers.
This winter has got me thinking about a Detroit Locker for my van. I spend WAY to much time being stuck, limited slip diffs just are not what they are supposed to be.
Today was esspecially bad, 2" of fresh powder ontop of smooth as glass ice. Even a 1% grade and once you stop you are not moving again.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Winching

That would be sweet. Yes, you would have to go somewhere where the service was in demand... perhaps supplying some crucial ingredient or stock to a fine restaurant or something... but not so in demand that they created their own weather-proof delivery methods.

I was talking to a guy down there in Largo who was from Northern Wisconsin, and he said one of his friends made a killing delivering pizzas in snowstorms for 3-4 times normal price to people who didn't want to go out using a 78-Ford pickup with chained tires.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

preach on ryan D2!
HOOAH!

US Army combat medic (yes a REAL combat medic - i work in the infantry. no cushy hospital job for me, but im trying EVERYDAY to get into a hospital unit... hehe)

Quick Reply: whats your occupation?