Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Speed Sensor Reporting Constant Speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 08:57 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel Speed Sensor Reporting Constant Speed

Hello Folks,

I am onto my next battle with figuring out what is going on with my ABS system. I recently replaced my front right wheel speed sensor due to low output from the sensor which was causing my 3 amigos to appear. At this time I also had to replace my upper and lower ball joints on the left-hand side. As many of you know this involves removing the hub and wheel speed sensor. After replacing the sensor I cleared my ABS ECU and went for a test drive. The amigos did not reappear, however, I was having a new issue. When making left-hand turns my traction control would activate and apply the brakes on the right-hand side. This made the car undrivable and dangerous to operate.

I hooked up my scanner and read for codes on the ABS and there were none (this was after driving +100km like this). I then decided to get live data from the wheel speed sensor and this is what is was reading: https://imgur.com/gallery/gx02HWV. The left-hand front sensor was reporting a constant speed of 1.7km/h regardless of speed, turning angle etc. This makes sense now why my TC is activating on the right side as it is trying to compensate for low speed being reported on the other side. I ohm tested the speed sensor on the left-hand side and it was within specifications.

Does anyone know what may be causing this? Could it have to do with the hub being removed while doing the ball joints? Something wrong on the ECU side? I'm at a loss since the system is not reporting any faults. In the meantime, I have pulled my ABS relay under the fuse box in order to continue driving her. This did cause the Relay Circuit open fault code and the 3 amigos to come back.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump!

Old 01-20-2020, 07:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

It is more likely that you got a bad new sensor. That, or maybe the tone ring in the hub got damaged on removal/install

Its much more likely you got a bad sensor