Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to add coolant sealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to add coolant sealer?

My DiscoII is beginning to consume coolant again (had the new head gasket 18 months ago), but I'm not feeling rich enough to have it fixed right now. I got some of that temporary coolant sealer stuff from the local auto store (the type that works with antifreeze). I noticed it wants me to put it into the radiator cap, but I only see the expansion tank cap?

Can I stick it in the expansion tank or is there a safe (won't leak everywhere) pipe I can pull to get this into the system?

Old 02-20-2010, 12:19 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You are going to have to put it in your expansion tank and it will run through you entire coolant system. If you use that stuff don't be surprised if your heater core stops blowing hot air.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't use it, but if you are set on it, don't just put it into your expansion tank. Drain part of your radiator and add it when the engine gets warm, then just top off as you would if you were bleeding the coolant. The vanes are small in the rads and may become clogged with sealant, so be careful.

Do you know where it is leaking and are you sure it is the heads again?

Old 02-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

did you do the head gaskets yourself? was it the AB kit? im with DiscoGuy its a different gasket... i would take a better look before you dump any sealant into the coolant

Old 02-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Hmmm.. Didn't think it could clog up the radiator or heater, why would they make such a thing if it can do that?

But you've also got me thinking? I didn't do the head gasket myself I had a good shop nearby do it, so perhaps it is coming from somewhere else. I'll look under the trunk this evening.. Are there any other 'likely' candidates for coolant leaks?

Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well the prestone stuff clogged up my heater core and some of the other stuff is worse. I had to run a garden hose through my heater core for a few hours to clean it out and get it to blow heat again. I have since fixed the leaks the old fashion way. Where is yours leaking?

Old 02-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Not sure where it is leaking from. No coolant on the ground or obvious leaks underneath, so assumed it was just 'consuming' it. Will leak in more detail this evening..

Old 02-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by dammad
I'll look under the trunk this evening.. Are there any other 'likely' candidates for coolant leaks?
When you had the head gaskets done, did you install all new upper and lower coolant hoses? How about an upgraded throttle body gasket?

The factory clamps can go bad over time and allow coolant to leak under pressure. The throttle body heater is a very common spot to leak, both at the gasket where it mounts and at the hose if the clamps are not installed well.

Take it to your mechanic to have the system pressure tested and inspected for leaks. The leaks may or may not be noticeable just by looking for coolant on the ground.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Before you plug up anything, have a coolant pressure test done to find the real problem. There are only a few stop leak products on the market that won't kill your engine, but first find the problem. Then go buy the new version of White Shepherds Head Gasket Sealer, the one that doesn't need to be flushed out. This product will work and not plug up anything it shouldn't.
Go to , Gouniversalproducts.com and read up on it.