Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to find transmission fluid level check stick

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default where to find transmission fluid level check stick

being new to Discovery, I have a 2003 S7. just couldn't find the place where you use to check the transmission fluid level and refill? Thanks!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: where to find transmission fluid level check stick

As disco mike said to me...

The next time you drive past a BMW dealership, you can stop in and thank them for that...
There isn't a "dipstick". The transmission is sealed. I guess this is to prevent crap from getting into the tranny if you are ever off-roading or whatever. Here's how you check the fluid...
Bring the truck up to temperature, LEAVE IT RUNNING.climb underneath it and locate the transmission oil pan.
Toward the front of the pan (front of vehicle) there is a fill plug on the face of the pan. Pop it out and see if the fluid drains out a little. If it does, it's filled. If it doesn't, it needs fluid.

cheers.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

And don't burn yourself. How long since the fluid has been changed?

Old 05-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks, "Unstable" :-)

and Mike, i got the truck used, so don't know when it had its tranny fluid changed, was thinking to check it and do the change myself. any advices? Thanks!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go buy 6 quarts of Dextron 4 and 1 foot of 1/2 tubing then send me your tele number, I'll call you and walk you thru the process.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Go buy....1 foot of 1/2 tubing...
Not to second guess you here Mike, because you've helped me out more than I could ever say, BUT when I was back in Western New York over this past week, my transfer case was leaking like crazy so I drained it, popped off the front cover, cleaned everything up and put on a fresh coat of permatex. Being that I didn't have my "wally-world hand pump" I ended up buying some hose to refill the transfer-case gear oil.

I'll tell you what...having used both the pump and the hose I'll tell you that the pump is the way to go, regardless of what kind of fluid you are using that $8.00 hand pump from Walmart can handle it and it makes life ALOT easier. But don't take my word for it.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Great! These are very helpful.

And Mike, I just got down to the truck and took a look at those two plugs. It seemed I need a key to turn them open. And it's quite under the exaust pipe so got to be careful to do it when it's hot. My phone number is 416-802-8054. Pls call me at anytime to give your advices. Hope to have it done today so I can hit on the road for a wonderful weekend.

Thanks,

Old 05-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Three Wheeling

I guess I just did something wrongly. I pop up the check fluid level plug (without paying attention to "Unstable"'s note and didn't start the truck and leave it running, guess was afraid to get burn). So the transmission fluid drained out for about3-4 liters (I didn't open up the bottom drain plug yet). So now I got into a question: when I refill it how I can get all these 3-4 liters back to the tranny since the checl-level plug is so close to the pan bottom? I am guessing I need to start the engine and keep it running so the transmission will suck the fluid up?

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That is why you need the pump, so that you can set the trans fluid bottle on the ground and pump it into the transmission.
Dont start the trk until you have the transmission full, start the trk and then top off the transmission. Drive it around the block so that it can shift through all the gears and get upto temp, then recheck the fluid level.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the Valvoline pump.Part# VV818 $8.00 at the local parts store will fit into any Quart bottle I have seen.

Put the vehicle into park,start the vehicle,engage the EM brake,crawl under the vehicle while running in park and the EM on.Remove the upper most plug on the tranny pan,prepare the plug for reinsertition,meaning clean dirt/grit and repalce crush washer if needed,take the VV818 insert it into your favorite Trans fluid quart bottle. pump fluid till a slitedribble occures.remove pump tube, enter cab of vehicle and depress brake peddel.slide shifter leaver from park to First gear,leaving it 10 seconds at each notch/gear.once in first gear repeat steps backwards to park again. leave in park(vehicle still runing. crawl back under the vehicle and pump fluid till a steady stream of fluid comes from fill hole. reinsert the cleaned plug. wipe any fluid from pan(using caution and keeping clear of hot exposed parts) re enter cab and turn engine off. clean up items used.re enter cab and procede on test drive. Task Complete.

Quick Reply: where to find transmission fluid level check stick