Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the fuel pressure regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the fuel pressure regulator?

I have a 2000 Disco, and need to know where the fuel pressure regulator is. I believe it is the little silver brass thing at the top of my fuel tower held on with a large grounded star washer.According to ALLDATAit is in thetop of the tower. I know that where ever it is, it has gone bad. Anyone know? Thanks

Old 09-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Where is the fuel pressure regulator?

D2's don't have a fuel pressure regulator from what I learned last week. Why are you looking for one?

Old 09-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Three Wheeling

According to ALLDATA they do, but they also say there is a filter. As far as I can tell, the little bell looking thing in the top of my fuel tower is letting all the fuel pressure go right back into the bucke/tankt. I tested the MAF sensor, so I know that it's not the problem. My truck is still sluggish and takes a while to get to 50. It's getting real annoying, and I don't want to buy another car, as suggested by everyone. "Just trade it in and get something else." I love my Rover and she is almost paid for.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Administrator

If you are loosing fuel pressure over night, I think you will find a valve on the fuel pump is causing that problem. Do you have a check engine light on?
What is the mileage on your truck and what sort of tune related work has been done on it?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Three Wheeling

I have changed the plugs as a gimme, and the wires are only about a year old. The truck has about 115,000 on it. The check engine light is on, and the codes were read as #1 and #2 banks are running lean. I came to the conclusion that the fuel pump was probably weak and changed it out with an aftermarket one according to instructions on a RR site. Didn't fix the problem, but now it takes two or three times to start unless it is morning with the first start. The truck is sluggish and has very little power. If you floor the pedal, the rev's increase, but you go no faster. It is getting worse as the truck now takes a while to go over 40. I am at wits end and am going to change out the entire fuel tower with a stock pump and regulator. This in theory should fix the problem. I have put over 70,000 miles on the truck myself with no real issues until now. This is one of the most reliable vehicles I have had. I just have to find a tower and such that is affordable for me. The cheapest I have found is a little over 300, except for E-Bay, but I am leary about buying something from E-Bay again.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think there is a pump for a GM that most parts stores will cross to the Discovery, but the pressure isn't high enough. Simple test is to check pressure at the rail. I am sure someone knows what it should be, and it is a lot cheaper than buying a new pump, unless you know that is what it is...

Old 09-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Three Wheeling

I am told that the pressure should be between 2.5 and 2.7 bars which is the equivalent to 33-37 psi. The pump I bought puts out plenty of pressure, anywhere between 45 and 65 psi, but it still acts like it is starved for fuel. Even putting the stock pump back into it doesn't solve the problem of it taking 2 or3 times to start now. I might of pushed the regulator over the edge. The problems really didn't start until after I got finished towing my firebird back from Phoenix.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Just out of curiosity, how did you test the MAF?
Do you us a K&N air filter by chance, if so that could be the problem cause the will contaminate the MAF and kill then every time.
Have you tried priming the fuel pump before you start the truck? Turn the key to the second position and off 2 times before starting then try to start the trauck, let me know if that makes a difference.
Hace you cleaned the throttle body and idle control unit, this could be your starting problem.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Three Wheeling

I did clean the throttle body. That's how I figured out the MAF was working. If I pulled the intake tube off while it was running, it would idle like crap until I sprayed the cleaner, put it back on, idle was fine. Now I don't know if it is working perfectly, but it is doing something. Yes I had an aftermarket fileter on it until I found out the oil craps out the sensor. Now I have gone back to stock.I bought the cleaner for it and cleaned it up to. Where is the idle control unit? I haven't cleaned that out yet, unless it gets clean spraying the TB while the truck is running. Of course, after all this and undoing the intake tube, I did reset the computer. I have tried priming the pump by turning it to the second position and off again, waiting for the relay to click and doing it again. Usually, it will start with the secon try then. Thanks

Old 09-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

It's possible that you have 2 seperate issues. The fuel pump you replaced the original with might be having difficulty holding prime whichwould explainwhy you're having starting difficulty. The lean codes and the power issue could simply be related to a MAF (and possiblyan O2 sensor)that has outlived its useful life. A MAF can still function at a low levelbut if the resistance values it's providing to the computer are way off caibration,the computer will be making its decisions about fuel mixture with erroneous data.Cleaning it may or may not help, depending on the nature of the deposits on the wire. Oily liquids can be cleaned off, but if a layer of mineral depositshas been baked on the wire, they may be impossible toremove and will throw off the resistance values. The O2 sensor is a link in this chain and both it and the MAF are needed for accurate fuel mixture to the engine.

While it's possible that your problem is a mechanical one related to the fuel pump or regulator, you've stated that the pressure is adequate. The only thing I can think of is that the pressure may not be adequate with the higher fuel delivery needs of acceleration and high engine loads. However if it were my vehicle, I'd put in a new MAF (or borrow one from another Rover temporarily) and see if it solves the problem. While I'm not a Rover expert, in my experience mechanical fuel delivery problems are much rarer than sensor malfunctions.

Best of luck, and please do let us know what you find out.

Dave